1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I screwed? :-(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Apr 19, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Long story short I work for this guy on the weekdays for now well its been about 3 years but I got accounts on the weekends. I work everyday hard.

Anywho I was driving his truck and a cop in a black charger pulled me over. I asked him what I did and he said you have a 2003 Ford F350 with a 30 foot trailer with a full size riding mower even two walk behind blowers and 6 backpack blowers. He told me my boss needs DOT numbers on the truck, commercial plates on the trailer, triangles, medical card, fire exstingurser, first aid kit, and other ****!!!! I said It not my truck and I work for a bone head and he felt bad for me. He said he will put the ticket in the bosses name. Well I get the ticket and later I saw that my info was on the bottom of the ticket!!!!! But the top says complaint to: and said my bosses name and info. The bottom said driver and had my info and stuff and the ticket was $300 instead of $1,000. It said suttin about miss use of plates, no reg, and something about medical card. Cop said I was at over 18,000 pounds!! Will this go on my record??? Should I kill my boss? My boss said he wants to fight it but I know he will try and blame me because he is a cheap scumbag. I only make $12 an hour work M-F 7am-8PM and work on my business weekends. I run his crew and his 120 accounts while he bullshits. I need to be making at least $14 LOL.
    I even warned him a week before this happend about the plates because I learned that from lawnsite.com
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Those are all the resopnsability of the owner. You should be fine, but good luck to him fighting it.
  3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a commercial citation you got. The MI ones have Carrier, Owner, Driver on them. As long as he circled Carrier (the company) as the defendent your fine. He will have to fight it and not you.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That's quite a rig ... 30 foot trailer with 2 WB blowers and 6 B/P blowers .. I'm impressed !!
  5. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

He has 4 Exmark riders but I had one on there and I don't think I was over 18,000 pounds or the GVW or whatever the word is.
  6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... no fire extinguisher or first aid kit? That's not very smart.

Everybody in this business should have a first aid kit in their truck, with the phone number of who to call if you are badly hurt. Accidents happen.
  7. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

its easy to hit 18 with the 1 ton plated at 11 and the trailer at 7,000 which it might have been more with being so big theres your 18,000 real easy

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

it is the drivers responcablity to make sure the truck is legal before you move it, if you know the tuck is illegal and drive it anyways then the ticket is on you. i know because i got a ticket in a roll off truck because the load lock did not operate prorerly.
  9. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

If the job sucks that bad and the pay is that bad then why don't you go out on your own? He may have missed some things. But being an owner, and making sure there is enough work to keep you busy is not always easy. Are you being hard on him or is it that bad?
  10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Won't hurt your record, they are not moving violations.