am i still a scrub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by formerscrub, Dec 31, 2001.

1. formerscrub

formerscrub LawnSite Member
    from Florida

The grass is still growing here in Florida and I am still cutting my accounts bi-weekly. The other day I was cutting and a bigger LCO called me a scrub! Now I still have a small trailer w/two commercial 21's and commercial edger,line trimmer, and blower.
    I am still looking for a good deal on a 32 or 36 walkbehind but until then am I still a scrub? I maintain my accounts every week and most of my accounts have been with me for 1-2 years but i guess until I get that 36 I am a scrub.
    Do all pro LCO think this way?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you are a legal business, are properly insured and conduct yourself in a professional manner then it doesn't really matter what kind of equiptment you have. If you can say yes to these things then no, you are not a scrub.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Richard ...... when we first started ..... guys in our area .... did most of the same thing ...... they felt threaten .....n for good reason ;->
  4. Guy dont worry what the other big guys say just do your good job and forget them guys.
    If You pay your insurance and iicenses you aint no scrub in my opinion.
  5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry just wave and say have a good day.You run the business not them.:D

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

No doubt. Our problem IS the legal stuff. Hey, if I did not pay for insurance, taxes and commercial plates, I would have some serious cash to play with. The funny thing is that most of these guys can operate in this way for years and never get caught. So why do we do it? I have had new clients ask if I want cash and give me that little look, and I always say that I pay my taxes and really have insurance. How much can you really trust a guy who basically tells you they are cheating the government?
  7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you feel good about the direction your biz is headed in, then it really dosent matter what other people think. When you get your 36" someone will drive by with three Lazers on the trailer and call you a scrub. That dosent make it true.
  8. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

Down south i giv'em the international peace sign and say your mamma!!!!
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

:confused: Is the term "scrub" universal to the lawn care business? I personally had never heard the word scrub in reference to lawn care until LawnSite.

So, what you are saying is: You were busy cutting a lawn and another company just rode or came up to you and said, "Hey there you scrub??" Unless that person is on lawnsite, I just don't see a person out of the blue thinking up that word and saying that to another cutter.
  10. Its not universal to lawn care when i worked for general motors that what we call the non uaw foreign plants workers.
    We also have some other colorful words to but i dont think the moderaters would allow them