Am I stupid for wanting a matching rig?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sauls1686, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Im wondering if im a complete -----....but when I get my "real rig" i want it to match. IE I want a black truck and trailer, with Echo trimmers, edgers, blowers , and either toro 21"s, and an Exmark Wb and ZT, or Honda 21"s and a Scag WB and ZT......Maybe its crazy and I know that u shoudl buy the equipment becuase of reliablity etc, but doesnt it help to have a rig that looks neat and uniform when ur driving in to a really nice development?

Hey im just a kid, I dunno anything thats why im asking.

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure whatever brand you go with is known for good performance across the board. Also, make sure you have reputable dealers. It would stink to be stuck with a bunch of eq. you can't get parts for. Even new stuff can break ya know. All my stuff matches - all JD. When I find something I like I stick with it. Good dealers and I've kinda grown partial to green and yellow; it lasts and lasts. And as far as it looking attractive, it does. But whats more important is how you maintain whatever you decide to buy. A rig full of mismatched equipment that is clean and well-maintained, is far more attractive than a matching equipment that looks all dirty, broken down, with torn up seats and dull blades, smoking and scaring little children and old ladies when it backfires. Even more important than that is the way you present yourself. Don't be a skank. Do your best to look clean and professional and be articulate when you speak to customers.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How long will you be at the account? if its big maybe 5 hours? I would be more concerned on how the grass looks than if your mowers are the same color, but thats just me.

4. Look professional soaked in sweat and pants that are dyed green from grass?

Well I do try to dress uniform when i mow...(i also work at a nursery so i kinda borrowed their colors)

Thanks about the equipment. I just think it looks cool to see a trailer full of red...(i wish scag made 21" mine would DEFIDENTLY have all orange!)

As for JD--Ihavent heard good things about their commercial stuff and iv looked at them and dont like them. Sounds like u do.

5. Image is important. But it seems like we're more concerned about it than the customer. Have to agree with lawnman_scott. Something else, don't talk to your dealer about your aesthetic preferences. They'll be less likely to make you a deal on the color-coordinated pieces of equipment.

ItÂ’s rare that one company makes the best equipment for a whole range of tasks. Never the less, sticking to one brand makes it more likely that expensive accessories and spare parts would be interchangeable.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it is always good to look professional and have good equipment
    but no one cares if the push mower matches the walk behind

u make the first impression when u met the customer.
    dress well be courteous listen to what they want and do good work

7. double e

double e LawnSite Member

It's all right to want to match- we try to, to an exstent
    A buddy of mine that has a lcb- sold me a 10 cubic wheel barrow fo 40 bucks (150 retail) just bc he wanted to have matching wheel barrows- Thats a little too much

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

It's your business, how you want to represent yourself is your choice.

Look at UPS, FedEx. The US postal service. Heck even look at the Fire Department and Police.

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Think of it this way. You can look all pretty (i like to having matching stuff too), but when it boils down to it, whatever you do, you are responsible for making that yard look its best for the next week. the customer will opnly see your truck for about 30 minutes, but they will see their yard the whole week.

10. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Glan just made an excellent point.

There are outfits you recognize and know before you even reading their sign. And they are not always the heavy hitters.

A unified image makes it easy for the consumer to make a mental image of your biz. And when it comes time to call someone they already have YOUR image in their mind, so you make the short list. No one ever said consumers are rational. We buy based on what is easy, convenient, and takes the least thought. Just like fish: most food for least effort.

Repeatedly seeing the same image and one begins to think 'boy they do a lot of business in my neighborhood. I think I'll call them." It is easy to recognize them and it is easy to remember them. It's called mind-share.

A biz with ten different rigs, different colors and all looking different has a much tougher time getting that mind-share. And when they do it is often 'oh yea the outfit with a bunch of misfit rigs. I wonder how professional they are?"

A nice looking truck matching a nice trailer puts you miles ahead in the marketing department.

Someone with a blue Ford Explorer towing a white hodge podge utility trailer, probably hears "Do you mow lawns?" despite the fact they are towing a trailer full of mowers.... Wonder why?

Someone with a yellow truck, yellow trailer, and nice side panel sign probably has less of those type of questions... and more 'can you give me a bid?"

But that's all just speculation..

:(