Am I stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nfisher330, Jul 13, 2004.

1. nfisher330

nfisher330 LawnSite Member

So, a good friend of mine, a very prominent attorney in the area..who's account I have been after for a while...finally I called him and said...I am coming over and cutting your lawn like it or not, we will agree on price later. He agreed because his lawn looked TERRIBLE....

He had at least 5 acres of the roughest lawn you can imagine. Some trees. I get there, it's long (too long), and has brown clumps all over it. I cut it, and now it's covered in brown clippings frop head to toe. I decide it needs to be cleaned. So I use the mower(JD 757), push them into long strips as tight as I can....and here is where I think I may be dumb...I broke out the rake.............

9 hours later, I am finished. It looks wonderfull, but I have a plethora of new blisters to show for my hard work. Being new, I assume there is a better method? Clue me in guys.
  2. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am just seeing if my link works
  3. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mower are u using? I would have ran over it several times and chopped it up. Then i would have dispersed all the clippings with a blower. I have never used a rake when u have power equipment to do it with. And i would have set a price before I showed up cause u may have just worked 9 hrs. for $20 good luck.
  5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

That is no way to conduct a business!!!
  6. nfisher330

nfisher330 LawnSite Member

First, he is going to pay me $500.00...he felt guilty, and flat out demanded I take it. As I said, he is a very very wealthy attorney, and he felt bad. (I have known him a long time, and trust me, I knew he would do this)

I have 2 757's, a GS 75, BP 60, and a hand held blower. There was so much I could not disperse it. I have a 1 ton Dodge dualie truck with a full length box, and I filled it 2 times with clippings. That's how bad it was.
  7. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Sounds like you're good with a rake....I'll let you know when I can use your services....we'll discuss your pay afterwards
  8. bluebeard

bluebeard LawnSite Member
    from ny

The answer is yes.
  9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you took a chance and it paid off. $55 per hour gross, not bad. Now that you have it cleaned up, you should stick a contract for regular maint. in front of him and ask him to sign it. He sounds like a good customer. We sit here and read complaints all day long about people who expect to pay $100 or less for that amount of work.
  10. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

Am I the only one that sees a problem with giving a attorney a contract? He may decide to take it as a challenge and over turn it.LOL I think a handshake on a price would be better.