Am I the born loser or what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 1, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, here how my luck has been going. The first 4 years I was in lawn care I got by with non-commercial mowers that were really slowing my productivity down. Finally I got enough accounts to buy my first commercial mower. In the next 4 weeks after I bought it I lost 18 (80%) of my accounts. I had a HARD time finally building back up. In the past few months I picked up some large commercial properties and really needed a bigger mower. I put it off for awhile and finally decided to bite the bullet and get me a 737. I jokingly told the dealer what happened last time a bought a new mower but did not figure it would happen again. WRONG!! Yesterday I lost one of my very profitablre accounts and this morning I went to do the other commercial apertment complex and the grass had been mowed. I called the landlords house and wanted to know what was going on, His wife said they had some new tennants moving in and the grass was real bad so her retired dad mowed it. I told her her husband told me to cut it every 2 weeks and I told hime it would look bad (bahia) but thats how he wanted it done. She said I needed to do it more often like every week and I told her I would be glad to. She would have to get with her husband and call back and let me know and I have not heard a word. Now if my luck follows suit I will lose some more before the week ends. Im not joking my whole life has been bad luck. Ive had several folks tell me Im the unluckiest person they have ever met LOL Im glad JD has a 30 day buy back policym my new mower may be going back if it keeps going like this, NO MORE new equipment for me it just jinkxes the @@@ out of me. Thanks for the rant.

Danny

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Sorry to hear that man. All I can say is to just get out there and keep advertising. Not doing yourself any good by just sitting here on the computer typing away... Good luck.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm suffering as much as you, I've got all of 4 accts and a $322 a month note for the equipt for the next 3 years. I'm not griping, yes it's difficult, but anything worth doing is NEVER easy. Why be so negative. I think your assumed name sums it up, You see yourself as poor, and you may remain that way unless you have a serious change in your mental attitude. I myself had a difficult time this morning with a cheap, PITB customer, but yet I'm not squakin' about it, because what would that do? Make myself and everyone else around me miserable... Believe me the only thing that keeps me going is my faith in Christ, prayer, and an NEVER DIE attitude. Be thankfull you're alive and have opportunity to even make a buck.. Lots of others don't even have that opportunity! Serriously, I'm not pickin on you, Just don't let it get you down. It will work out if you want it to.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

How did you lose 80% of your accounts after buying your first piece of commercial equipment?

5. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Is the apartment complex on contract? Do you use contracts?

6. QualityLawnCare4u

TX, Im not giving up, my point is EVERY time I try to better myself something backfires, none barred, I wished I had a nickel for every person that told me "only you could have that kind of luck" LOL and yes I do have great faith, you have to to be in the lawn service Locutus, I had 3 customers to die, lost 4 35-40 yard toa lowballer who did them for 10-15 dollars, and had 8 to lose ther jobs or get transferred and 2 no payers I dropped. No Im not whining ever time I get knocked down I will get back up just would like to have a tiny bit of luck once in awhile. Yes I am very fortunate to be able to even work, lot of people cant and I have good enough credit to buy nice equipment and put at least 25% down, and I have advertized a lot, put out flyers in my selected area and some not so selected and the phone aint ringing. But I will make this work one way or the other.
    I was more or less blowing off steam, it gets discouraging when you lose 2 good accounts in 2 days.

Danny

7. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW Tx you made me feel better, I have a few more than 2 accounts and my note is not quite that much, and to NC Daddy, I do not have any cotracts, they dont go over in my area. Even our biggest lco has very few,less than 10%. I would like to have all contracts but not gonna happen here.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

danny stick with it buddy, there is a reason and purpose for everything. I found that I lost a few myself this year and it really pizzed me off but I am making more money now than last year and I am working shorter hours. How? I have lots of referral business and one timers. I also diversified a little (since I have time) and got into some light landscaping. I also increased my fertilizer/weed control clientel.
    We also had some terrible rain and if I had the ones I lost I would have been tremendously behind. I was behind but caught up quite well. The thing is that when one door closes, eventually another opens so keep the chin up. Its ok to be upset about losing accounts in my book because it shows you are a worker who cares about the clients and business. Be a little pissed and get it out, it helps to get over it.
    Keep at it and you can change that handle to hardworking RICH man!! Good Luck

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah man stick with it! In the long run you will be glad you did. It is a great thing to own and operate your own business. You will have your ups and downs but just hang in there and everything will be ok.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks Mow Ed and Pro Street, I will hang in there. The thought of going back to a dead end job gives me the creeps! I need to call the account back to day and apologize, I may have came across a little blunt and did not mean to. Was jsut aggavated after driving 42 miles round trip (cost me 6 bucks in gas) and 45 minute travel was a little ticked off. I dont think the apartment owner and his wife(who handles the property) communicate well. She did not know I was supposed to come every 2 weeks. Made me feel like I was doing a bad job and Im very proud of my reputation and guess I took it personal. This is one account that would really hurt me to lose, about 25% of my income. Thanks for replys.

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care