Am I the only guy out there not balancing blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevinsky, Jun 27, 2005.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

We have sharpened our blades every day for the last twenty years and have had no problems to my knowledge associated with out of balance blades. Am I missing something?

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Did you Know that an Engine Problem or a Broken Pump or Wheel Motor or Hose Clamps or Hardware Losening Was likely Partly Caused by the Vibration of Unbalanced Blades ?

Vibration is Not Your Mower's Friend.

meg&mag2.JPG

3. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

How many spindles have you replaced in those 20 years of not balancing blades?

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i havnt done it in 5 years. No new spindles.

5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

No balancing here either. I just sharpen and put them bak on the mower and go. no problems.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

THANK GOD!

I have been doing this 19.5 years now. At first boy I would balance those blades and man was I proud. Now after sharpening thousands of blades I think I am pretty close.

As far as the bearings go it is true you had problems with the crap bearings that were made 15-20 years ago. In fact it did not matter if they were balanced or not. Three months was all you got out of them. However, I have had mowers now that I have never replaced spindle blades and replace the deck belt every two years.

I am just glad someone else said this before me. In fact I used to have one of those great Neary blade grinders and sold it to my local dealer. Give me the little hand held mini grinder every time. Less money and in my opinion my blades last longer as I do not grind too much blade away each time.

So count me as one who does not balance blades but my lawns still look great.

Oh and for the record. As soon as you hit a rock, stick, or other small object your blades are then out of balance.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

But when I sharpen I always try to remove equal amounts from each side of the blade though..

As far as hitting an object knocking a blade out of balance, how can this occur if no metal is removed during the collision? As the only thing happening is the metal being displaced.. I've had broblems from hitting and bending things, but just hitting a rock or the occasional root hasn't made a machine start vibrating baddly for me. Every blade related vibration that I've had was caused by a big collision with something immovable, that bent or broke parts and caused a lot of runnout..

8. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing this for 20 years and have yet to balance a blade. Waste of time if you're good with the grinder. We might replace one or two bearings a year, which isn't bad for 6 72" machines running daily............Lynn

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

SSSHHH! The new guys are supposed to be in the garage balancing blades. Now they're gonna have more time to pass more flyers and stuff. Dang!
    Seriously though, putting them on a cone is about all I ever do. I'm careful not to take much off but when I do, I have to check the balance. Only takes a minute.

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Mowing since 1983. Never balanced a blade. Replaced 1 spindle in that time due to a water pipe being hit.......