am I the only guy that obeys the law?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman59, Mar 19, 2003.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Just got back from the JDL seed and fert seminar yesterday, the instructor was very knowledgeable but after 20 minutes I caught on to something... Out of the 25 attendees that were applying herbicides and chemicals in the business none of them were certified or even working under a licensed contractor... The guy from JDL didn't think for one minute that there was anything wrong with it or didn't even encourage certification in his pitch.... Am I looking at this wrong or what. But he explained in his pitch that a customer that bought some herbicide from his company applied it wrong through a miscommunication in his staff and he paid to replace to lawns that the contractor over applied on... Seem he wasn't as smart as I thought.......
  2. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

the answer is no, but it feels like yes most of the time.
  3. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

had the same problem down here. The state finally caught up with it, and started checking. Alot of people got lit up with fines. It will eventually catch up with them.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get a list of the people from the seminar and turn every one of the losers in! Telling us about it means nothing.
  5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

turfman - there was an article in the Detroit News about two years ago about this very subject. If I remember right, it said that there are only like 3 or 4 enforcement officers for the whole state of Michigan. That's why there's such lame enforcement. I know a guy in the Detroit area that's been making a living at fert apps for 20+ years now. He was cited as the 2nd or 3rd most offender in this article. I saw him about 3 months later and asked him if it cost him any business or if they finally caught up with him. He just laughed and shook his head - and said if anything it had brought him more business.

Go figure/
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

How do you know that none of the people were liscensed? Did you ask? Did the lecturer ask?
  7. turfman59

You bet your *** I asked, when one of the guys said he talked to the DNR and they told him that" just wait till you get asked for a license and then go and get one" I knew i was talking to a bunch of amateurs.... When I asked to see a show of hands who in the room was certified the instructor got very nervous. By the way the DNR has no authority of Pesticide apps
  8. turfman59

I didnt see them doing it, they just admitted it, sorry no evidence. Hopefully I scared them real good when I explained the part about the fines that can be levied if caught
  9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Although I can only imagine your frustration in that room, I would urge you not to make policing the industry your personal responsibility. The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rotenticide Act (FIFRA) was passed in 1947. An important provision of that Act was applicator certification The State has people paid to enforce the provisions of this Act.
    With so small a percentage of fert. & pest. sales being accounted for by commercial applicators, I don't think we can, or should look for increased restrictions of sales. As a Professional industry we may want to use our State Lawn Care Associations to work with the enforcement divisions of our industry to make non-certified applicators want to get the certification. As an example if Joe Mow were fined 1 year gross business sales for the 1st violation by a non-certified applicator, I'll bet Joe would either get certification or think twice about using RU or weed and feed. We may want to put our license # on all business cards, advertisement and letter head to help educate the public. We may want to better educate the public by print and electronic media as Realtors do.
    Long & short of it is we are part of a trained profession. Until the public begins to search out those professional and Joe Mow is afraid of the economic consequences of not being certified you and I will remain part of a minority. If we have to make a call, let's consider calling the State Lawn Care Association to express our concerns, offer input and work together.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

We had a similar situation last weekend. The local extension service had a class on Saturday for young school kids that wanted to mow lawns for the summer. I guess they explained things like how to sharpen blades, how often, how to cut, safety precautions and all of that nature. I did not go nor do I know anyone that went, but I wonder if they mentioned insurance and so on???