Am I the only one that thinks Stihl Trimmers are a POS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CustomKare, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

I bought a FS80 yesteday.......what a POS. It's loud, it spits debris back at me and sounds like it's 5 years old already. I know I'll here from you Stihl guys but I would go with an Echo before Stihl. Gas consumptin is way more on the Stihl. I tried it out in my yard last night and uses 1/2 tank of gas where I could do many yards with my Echo.

Hope I'm not jumping the gun here but so far not impressed with the Stihl.

Also, this I understand is a preference thing but the bump and go is not for me. I like the quick change head for a couple of reasons. Youn don't need to carry a bulky spool with you and if you don't then you spend time back at the truck. Also rewinding them sucks and they get hung up.

I use the quick change with the 6" lengths and have a tube mounted on the trimmer, reach down insert and go. Works way better than bump & go....and you use less line. Just my 2 cents

I'll sit down now and wait for the Stihl guys to unload on me
  2. BartonLawn

BartonLawn LawnSite Member

If you like Echo equipment, why didn't you just buy an Echo?

Have you taken it to the dealer to see if it needs adjusting? Did they fire it up when you bought it to make sure everything was kosher?
  3. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

Went by the Stihl name, Echo was good to me but wanted to get a "top of the line" piece of equipment. I did fire it up but thought I was being too picky comparing to what I had and felt it's a Stihl....It will be fine. My dealer is awsome and they will take it back but I don't like to do business like that unless the thing fails. I'll live and learn.
  4. BartonLawn

Sounds like the unit has an issue, it happens. hell I'm sure that not even Echo has sent out 100% perfect machines each and every time.

It really sounds dumb to on the one hand ***** about a product, and then turn around and say you'd rather not take it back. :rolleyes:
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! Did anybody force you to buy a Stihl? Who was it that said to the dealer, "... I'll take than one," and then slid the money, plastic, or check across the counter? Why should anybody "unload on me?" You have done the task nicely yourself.
  6. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

I bought a Stihl FS85R a few years ago, and the thing has been a piece of junk since day one. It vibrates like a jackhammer; it's always been hard to start; it is heavy; it sounds like a bell ringing.... I could go on, but you get the point.

It's always the last trimmer off the trailer - no one wants to use this thing.

I have an old Honda 2-stroke UMK24, which is supposedly a Stihl with Honda stamped on it, and it is a great machine. Seven years old and still running (a bit rough now, mind you). I'm pretty sure the Stihl will be in pieces before it hits the four year mark, becuase I'm not putting one more penny into it.

Every time I take my Stihl to the dealer in an attempt to make it run better or start easier they always say my problems are due to running it with too much line out. I could run my Honda or my Kawasaki trimmers with three feet of line out and they would never screw up like my Stihl.

In short, I think Stihl used to make a great product, but over the past few years the quality has gone downhill.

Don't even ask about my two BR600 "exploding" blowers. Both have been in the shop numerous times for valves, and more recently my dealer had one for more than two months before giving up and sending it back to Stihl to be repaired. Thankfully, it was covered under warranty because the entire motor blew up and virtually everything had to be replaced.

I will never buy Stihl again. It's Kawasaki or possibly Shindaiwa for me from now on.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

10 years using Stihl and love them including the fs80. Only one repair during those years other than replacing the spools and that was the on/off switch on the fs55 home owner model. I use ear plugs buy they sound like a normal 2 cycle to me. I kinda like the deep throated rumble, especially the 250 at idle. Just my preference, they've been good to me. :confused:
  8. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

People, people, people. DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!! Only a botard would buy something before actually trying it out and working with it first. Then, coming on Lawnsite and trying to stir the pot.

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't have any luck with Stihl equipment either. I run a different brand now and love them. I won't turn this into a who's better thread. LOL
  10. BartonLawn

I've just had good luck I suppose. I've had a Stihl chainsaw for years and it's been a good performer. This spring I decided to get a new trimmer and picked up an FS-90. It too has performed well. Seriously tho I think Stihl's reputation speaks for itself. There are other quality brands out there no doubt, but not each machine is going to run perfectly each and every time. When I bought my trimmer my dealer gased it up and we went out back of his location and whacked a few weeds with it so I could get a feel for it. It's been fine since, but if it hadn't I would have simply taken it back and they would have corrected the issue. Of that I have no doubt. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.