Am I the only one who hates getting Zapped by redmax trimemrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riverwalklandscaping, Mar 12, 2008.

1. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Edit: title is supposed to say trimmers sorry

I like RedMax equipment, and there is a dealer about 4 min from my house. I use the 8001 and love it. I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but I will never again use the RedMax trimmers, or split boom because I am sick of getting zapped. If you flip over the trimmer and look by the trigger, you will see the positive and negative wires (red/black) exposed. Why do they do this?? Am I the only one who gets zapped all the time. I bought all Husqvarna Trimmers / Brush Cutters last year because of that problem, and I am glad I switched. They run much smoother, start easier, weigh less etc. I looked this year, and to my surprise RedMax still has the electric parts showing, where your fingers can hit. So, do you guys have this problem?

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

All I own is Redmax trimmers and blowers, never had this problem...maybe yours is a lemon or something

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

my older 7000 has always done this. Its not that bad, but would be nice if it didnt happen.

4. mksavage

mksavage LawnSite Member

Same here, all I run is Redmax,blowers, trimmers, edgers, & hedge trimmers, no issue
    at all

5. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

i get zapped every time i get caught working in the rain. my trimmer and edger both zap me. i was using stihl before switching to redmax and never had this problem. my stihl dealer is too far away, so before we get into the rainy season, i might be switching to echo or shindiawa, which are the two brands my walker dealer sells.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

this is totally unrelated but at the same time kinda sorta not really like what you are talkin about. I had a Cub Cadet Commercial blower that used to shock the snot out of me. There was a bolt on what I called the cruise control for the throttle that would zap me all the time. Static would build up and if I touched that bolt it would knock the crap out of me.

7. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

to you guy who have never been zaped, what happens if you touch your finger to the spot under the handle by the trigger where the wires are exposed... this didn't just happen to me with one, with all 3 i used. Also, if you touch the black rubber spark plug cover. I know u shouldn't touch it because it's the spark plug, but I can touch that area on my johnsered and husqvarna and not get zapped.

corey4671... I sorta feel i've had that happen too... I once in a great while get a zap from my BPB too

8. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I had an Echo trimmer that used to do that to me,sure wake you up!

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a redmax trimmer when I rested my arm on the top of the spark plug wire it shocked me every time. It was hard to avoid when u got tired from trimming.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a Redmax Trimmer for four seasons now, this has never happened to me.