am i thinking right?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by texas, Mar 15, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

instead of by the hour pay(clock milking problem) i decided to try something new. i would pay my maintnance guys $400 a week commision. if you were my employee, would this want to make you want to work faster instead of milking the clock?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

there is still no production incentive....
    also it is illegal. to be on salary you MUST supervise 3 or more people, and you must pay a minimum of $450.00/week.

this could burn you. what if you do put them on it and thier production drops??? you fire them and they call the labor board on you.......
    also you will then have to pay them for rain days, sick days, etc...

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am not sure if you can really do this or not. What is the commission based on? Is it based on the total sales for the week? The IRS has some restrictions on who can be a commissioned rep, a salary employee, and independent contractor. I would talk to your accountant in regards to this matter. Better to be safe then sorry, JMO

4. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

Why would this make them want to work faster? If they are milking the clock by the hour. I would think it would be even worse if they knew at the end of the week they had 400.00 coming to them whether they worked hard or not.

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That is a good point.

6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

You can do something similiar. Make each job worth X that way if they want to make more money they get more jobs done. But be sure to inspect for quality and such.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Kick their azzes and get out there and work with the crew all day full blast and let it be known that this is what you expect and you know what they should be getting done in x amount of time and any less will not be tolerated and they will be written up or whatever you want to threaten them with.
    .Can you do what you expect your employee's to do in a days work?If not you are expecting to much
    ..if they can't keep up with you you are expecting to little.

8. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

if someone told me 400.00 a week and i could go when i had everything done i would try and work harder to get off work earlier just my opionion

9. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Some of my friends in different trades like tile, hardwood flooring and such pay their guys by the day...Some guys make $85 a day while others more, depending on skill levels and experience...this also saves them from paying their workers for any sort of day off.

10. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

"if someone told me 400.00 a week and i could go when i had everything done i would try and work harder to get off work earlier just my opionion"

You will find employeees who will want to get done real fast but also those who don't have anywhere else to be and will take 2 hour lunches and sit around in the truck.