1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I too late?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awayneward, May 9, 2004.

1. awayneward

awayneward LawnSite Member

OK, all of you experienced guys out there. If I have not established enough of a client base at this point, am I in for a LONG season. I have put out over 600 hundred fliers and not enough business to keep me busy. Should I plan on a second job for the time being? Or, am I likely to continue to keep bringing in new clients? This is my first season in the business and am starting to panic. Any responses or advice would be appreciated. Thank you
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do good work you will pickup the neighborers to. You are not going to fill a 5 day cut week your first year with that little advertisement.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, word of mouth is your best freind here. So many other guys putting out fliers & door hangers, most go rite in the trash, but if someone says what a good job XXXX lawncare does, they will call you
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

600 fliers for the first season is not really that many considering the 1-2% return you will likely get from them.

1st season.............you will need to build more on your business before you can expect a full schedule.
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a second or third shift job, keep plugging away until you feel comfortable and then quit your job, or if you can get by on a p/t job, do that until you are ready to go F/T with the lawn care.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out I got and still get quite a few calls in June. As the weather gets hot a lot of people realize they do not want to spend the time mowing. Once you get these customers, good service will keep them year round.

Never been big into advertising. A few fliers. No yellow pages. Mostly word of mouth. I give lots of extra business cards to existing customers and tell them if I get a new customer from them then they get a discount/freebie.
  7. awayneward

awayneward LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input. I will continue putting out fliers and am already offering $5 off next cut for each referral. Also, am intentionally scheduling work for later in the day and on Saturdays so more people will be home when I am slaving away :).
  8. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

yes I find business cards to very helpful. I leave them about everywhere I go and they look professional from the git-go. I just made mine myself with printmaster gold and some business card paper from staples. I got 200 cards for $17.
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Put out more fliers. I've probably put out 5000+ fliers already, and plan on putting out about another 5000 over the next 2 months. The other day I put out 400 and got 5 calls the next day. 4 of those landed accounts, and one was a cleanup.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Todays the 9th of may When I started last year we didnt do our first job till april 30th. We did direct mail and home town news paper ads. We had only around 30 accounts by the end of May we got that up till 65 by the end of the year. This year were way over 100 accounts and the phone that wouldn't ring last year never stops we get 20-30 calls a day.

So no its not to late to start and Yes you are in for a LONG YEAR if its your dream to make a sucessfull business your stick with it through the hardships which we still are having. If your after instant income well your going to be disapointed all year long as the year goes on new jobs will come up that you don't have the equipment for so you will be spending a lot this year. Don't count the money before you have it.