Am I too old for this stuff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Nov 27, 2002.

?

Age range for this site

1. 0-18yrs old

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. 19-25yrs old

12 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. 26-35yrs old

37 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. 35-50 plus yrs old

99 vote(s)
    65.1%
  1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Today did a huge leaf job (i do not like doing leaves that much but it pays the bills when grass is not growing and landscaping is slow)

Getting up there in age after being laid off a couple of years back.

Shins hurt, back hurts, wrists hurt, but I still like what I do.

Investing more $$$ in better equipment

Making a living but not a killing yet.

Just wondered what the average age was on this site.

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Did I miss your age in your post? I will be 40 in may and my partner is 40 already. We mow all day with 21's... a 30 and a 32. My partner runs road races, after we mow he will go run about 5-6 miles. I play competetive tennis and am an avid weightlifter. We believe the mowing helps us to be in top shape when competing in our sports.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, you're too old for this stuff.
    :D

I'm 40 also and used to ask myself the same question. Then I found the answer. Advil in the 250 count bottles!

4. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just turned 30, and after being in this business for 10 years, I find myself asking the same question. I just keep plugging away & so look forward to winter when I am usually off for about 10 weeks.....COME ON WINTER!!!!

Steve

5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

:D us old guys are winning so far.I know some guys here in there 70s still at it with pushmowers.

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

yes sir winter time is the time to recoup the old bones and relax NO snow plowing for me I hate it

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 43 and sometimes ask myself the same question. That's about the time I remind myself of what I could be doing for min. wage. I plan to do this as long as I am able. Heck, I'm in the right state, soon I will be an "old fart" too. LOL

8. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

46. Not only is my arthritis making me too old but I'm also really really disgusted with it all, as well.

When I got started, I thought that in 10 years, I'd surely be clearing $100,000 per year for myself after expenses. HA, what a pipe dream that was!!

So now, not only am I fighting my physical limitations, I'm trying to keep from falling into a deep depression over the realization that the day that I can no longer do this will be the day that I land in the poor house. And I'm well on my way, too. :cry:

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 46. Will 47 at the end of Jan. When I stsrted this business (Aug of 2000) within a month my forearms, elbows and wrists were killing me.

Researched and found a book that worked wonders- it's Pain Free by Pete Egescue. Started doing the exercizes and man! What a relief!

My only remeining problem is that when I'm done for the day if I sit down my body stiffens up and I walk around like a tree until bed time. (If I have a couple of glasses of wine I don't care about the stiffness).

My concern initially was that my body would rebel big time. After doing those excercises I've found that my body actually craves work and excercise. If I sit down too long on the weekend my body starts "Screaming" foir excercize!

Cordially,
    S.

10. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 50. The mowing, edging & line trimming I like. The shrub trimming, raking, removal I've grown to dislike with extreme prejudice. I agree with Sheppard about being stiff after a hard day but the next days work makes everything limber right back up. I feel much better after the physical activity involved with this kind of work than if I sit at a desk all day. I noticed a benefit a couple weeks ago. Went on a hunting trip to Montana with 3 friends. Two are mid 40's in age and 1 is 52. They have non physical type careers. I was running circles around them, up and down coulees and ravines. I couldn't believe how out of breath the slightest exertion got them.