am i trying to charge to much?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, Oct 15, 2012.

1. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Villa Rica branch is very knowledgable. Ask for Chris.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Ball Ground, on hwy 5 just north of Airport Drive is the King Green Location that used to be a JDL. King Green has only been in the building about a year. JDL closed down in '09 come to think of it.

I go to the JDL off Mcfarland pkwy in Alpharetta/Milton. It's right near my office for my 9-5 job so I usually stop by there during lunch to pickup fert and supplies since it's convenient. I may think about buying all my fert for the summer in the early spring next year to see if I can save a little money. I do this on the side too just like you.

3. macgyver_GA

I was at HD last night grabbing a few things and decided to stop by the garden center to figure out my confusion because it was driving me nuts. The Lesco 0-0-7 HD sells is Pendamethalin as the AI and doesn't contain Dimension. The Lesco Dimension 0-0-7 I got from JDL was obviously Dithiopyr (checked the bag since I had a little left over). The Lesco 19-0-7 that HD sells contains Dimension(Dithiopyr).

4. acculawnsystems

acculawnsystems LawnSite Member

You can set up tiered pricing thorough our system that will allow for you to be more competitive on larger properties. Acculawnsystems.com

5. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

how much was the 19-0-7 with dimension??

i went to JDL a minute ago and picked up 3 bags of stonewall for a bit over 16 per bag. much better.. but not cheap as some of you are getting. i paid 25 dollars per bag for pretty much the same thing last time at the local garden center. it was pennington 0-0-7 with barricade.

any ideas how much the price goes up when the pre-emergent has a higher nitrogen fert with it??

6. macgyver_GA

The 19-0-7 w/ Dimension at HD is $48 per bag :dizzy:

That's about right for the Stonewall 0-0-7. I paid 18 per bag a few weeks ago.

For my early April Pre-emerge & fert app, I put down Lesco Dimension 25-0-10 from JDL that I pay around $38 per bag :dizzy: (this is my lowest margin app of the year obviously).

7. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i just put out stonewall on my own yard.. man this stuff is the grainiest crap i've used so far.. almost like sand. used my calibration key.. on setting "14" started to make a pass, way to much comming out.. so i backed down to what i thought looked better.. i ended up getting down roughly 4.5lbs per k because i know how big my lawn is, and i measured what i had left. but, how do i use the calibration key?? when i measure the holes with the key should the "14" be visible above the hole, or hiding in the hole?? i feel like this is something i am just not clear on.. lol. stupid question for the day. i could ask the JDL guy, but he probaly doesn't know either :laugh:

yeah, i was definetly not expecting those rounds to be profitable either, 38 is about what i thought, think they quoted me that over the phone on the same product over the winter when i called one day.

8. macgyver_GA

Yep, the granules are very small and it goes fast if you don't recalibrate. IIRC the total sq ft per bag is less than the typical 12500 that you get out of dimension and regular lesco fert. I'm assuming you're running a Lesco spreader, you should be able to find a pdf of the owners manual and it will give you the calibration instructions. Rittenhouse has a pdf available.

9. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 24-0-11 dimension this spring at $20 bag. Also bought 20+ pallets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

who are you getting fert from? I have been using Howard great price on Pre-M and 12$ cheaper then JDL. I have just been asked to bid 40acres of property not all lawn but it does have a great deal of sod. Its in poor shape lots of grassy weeds. I will use GoIlawns to measure. PM me