Am I using the wrong blades with my mulch kit(Stander)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Florida Gardener, Oct 3, 2010.

1. OK

So I finally got my mulch kit for my 36" and have been using Gator blades so I left them on thinking it would work great with the kit.

Well, today was the first day using it and I have to say I wasn't greatly impressed. The blades were sharpened right after installing the kit and it would chop non-grass debris up, but not like what I thought meaning it wouldn't chop it up 100%....should I be using different blades with a mulch kit??
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Are you using the kit or just block off plate? I use regular medium lifts on my mulch kit for the 36 stander and 52 Wright Z
  3. unknown

i have the actual kit with baffles...

can you post pics of your blades by chance. When people say med, high-lift i don't know what they are talking about....

thanks for your help.
  4. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

I use Oregon 90-207 blades. These are not gator type. I've got the mulch kit installed on my 36" Stander and it mulches grass great. I've mulched down alot of leaves with it too.

The blades are 1/4 thick and have a slight sail to the ends. They are probably med. lift.
  5. unkownfl

6. unknown

That's what I figured. I didn't have any blowout, it just wasn't mulching other debris that great like leaves, bamboo debris, etc.

About the newer model comment, what do you consider newer model?? Mine is a 2008. What models need that spacer?

When you mulch live oak leaves in the winter, does it completely get everything in 1 pass??

Thanks for your help.
  7. unkownfl

8. Ok gotchya

So I would go with the one's you posted in the first link then, right?
  9. unkownfl

That's what I use and have had good luck with. My old Toro (2006) used almost the exact kind of blade and they came with the mulch kit. I have a few sets of Gators and gave them to an old helper of mine because they just didn't work for me anyway I tried.
  10. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

diamond, you did the exact same thing I did from April-August.

Bought my 36 w/ the mulch kit (baffles and all) but it needed new blades so I ignorantly ordered up some gator blades because the LOOKED like the best. Man was I wrong. Finally found out that I just needed mulching blades. Simple wavy type blade. Man, did it make all the difference in the world how they worked with my deck. I don't know exactly how to describe but the cuts were crisper and sharper looking. Not to mention the reduced blowout and increased vacuum I have gotten when taking on a huge pile of debris. I don't know what mower you have but call up the dealer and ask for the actual mulching blades. Very plain in comparison to gators. Mulching are just wavy a bit and I have no idea why but give such a better cut and mulch than gators. Don't think it is the mower or the deck just yet!