1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I workng to hard? Everyone says I am

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Jul 31, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I am working at UPS part time in the morning from 4am to 9am. Come home go to sleep for 1.5 hrs. go out mowing all day till about 8 or 9pm. I have about 80 residential accounts and doing them all alone. Except in fall I hire help for leaves. Its hard for me to quit UPS because I been there 10 yrs and making pretty good money with benefits. Whenever I talk to anyone about what I do, they just look at me and tell me I am freaking crazy and I am going to overwork myself. I want to hire a guy to work for me, but I dont want the headaches involved. I figured since I have 4 months off in the winter time from the lawn business that I should be busting my hump in the summer. I am trying to figure out where I want to take this situation in the future before I am to old to work like this anymore. Just wanted some input please. Thanks

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

At 31 you are still pretty young and can take the punishment!

One of my workers has 3 jobs. He works for FED EX from 11pm to 4am 5 nights a week. In the summer he works for me from 8:30am to 5 or 6pm. During the rest of the year he is a school teacher during the week, Fed Ex at night and works for me on weekends. He is 28 with a wife & 2 year old boy.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

When do you eat?

I'd say it's too much for me, but if you're getting close to 7-8 hours sleep I suppose you can keep it up. But somehow I don't think you're getting 7-8.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

UPS is an up and coming business why not try to grow with that business. If you work hard you ought to be able to move up into a better job and higher pay? I was a manager in a large company and you could tell which guys had outside jobs because they would never do overtime. As a result they got smaller raises and promotions took more time.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My hat's off to ya, but in all sincerity, you're looking at an early grave if you keep up this pace too long. There is more to life than just cutting grass (like friends, family, g/f, wife, sports, hobbies, etc.).

Sit down and figure out where you want to be in 10 years or so. Then, back track and figure out how you are gonna get there. It's not all that difficult.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

At one point I worked 2 am to 7 am at a grocery store, then worked 9 am to 5 pm doing irrigation.

After my wife had her baby, and we no longer needed health benefiits I quickly moved to fulltime irrigation though :)
  7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

UPS will put you in your grave quicker than lawn care.

I've seen it first hand with my father (18 yrs with Buster Brown).

Unless they changed alot, it's the most demanding, back stabbing company out there.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

I Have A Good Friend That Works At Ups In Jersey. He Drives Delivery And Tells Me That His Rate Goes To 28 An Hr Next Year Plus Ot Plus All Bennies.......... They Have Issues Like All Places But He Has It Better Than Most. He Can Move Anywhere In The Country An Be Guaranteed His Job(transfer) . I Have A Hard Time Believing Anyone Would Want To Leave There. You Must Get A Killer Income From Having Both, But Arent You Afraid Of Burnout ? Most Guys That Leave Ups Go Out On Workers Comp From Back Injuries.
  9. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Buster Brown...LOL!
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hell, and I thought just the opposite???