Am I Wrong HERE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Mar 20, 2005.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I have been using MOBIL1 10w30 with supersyn technology motor oil since I had about 50 hours on my exmark mower with the 20 horse kohler engine, am I wrong by having done this? Have I caused any damagw? I was reading on the Exmark site that they recomend that you not switch to synthetic until 250 hours. I am getting concerned about this, who else has been using synthetic oil? Can someone ease my mind???
  2. GreenMachine102

Should I switch back to regular oil?
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If it's not damaged now then you are fine. A number of engines come with Mobil 1 from the factory.
  4. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Not gonna hurt your engine as long you used 30 w
  5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I did that once to my walker, at 110 hours i think,i'm good friends with the mechanic at my dealer. He said i should not have done it, because the first couple hundred hours you need to break in the motor and this oil does not allow everything to seat in. he also said he thinks it is a waste of money, he says for cars and trucks its good because of the temp they run at. but for air cooled motors they get so hot that it doesn't really matter. I dumped that oil out with only 8 hours on it and put regular 10/30 back in. Havent had any trouble yet but i only got 300 on it.
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I put mobile 1 in my 36 exmark at 5 hrs and its going on 5 yrs, my dixie has been on mobile1 for 9yrs
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds strange. The very explanation about running hotter would be a vote FOR synthetic. I understand synthetics do much better with higher running temperatures.
  8. GreenMachine102

Can I switch back to regular without doing anything special?
  9. rather be mowin

rather be mowin LawnSite Member

I have heard once you go to synthetic you should not switch back to regular, also I see no harm in running it as a matter of fact probably better for the machine in the long haul IMHO.
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I heard that too, but then heard that the new synthetics do not cause any problems. I think the older synthetics would clean the seals causing leaks in older engines. A new engine shouldn't have any sludge holding the seals together.

I'm no expert and could be wrong. Check out this forum