1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

AM i wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have this customer he is a really obnoxious old guy, me and my dad started doing his lawn when I was about 15. so he's been with me for about 6 seasons.

He's always been a cheap skate...accusing us of property damage, and he always insists on every other week mowings. Last year I convinced him to got to everyweek, but this year I just said whatever, but I rased his price $10.00. he's ALWAYS got some type of Bull with him, something new everyweek.

Here is the issue;

during the dry spell we had 4 weeks ago, he calls my office at 2:00(AM) telling me NOT to cut "it's too dry"
    a week later it started raining he calls at 12:00(AM) says "it's too wet, don't cut"

the following week the same thing at 2:00(AM) he woke me up all three times.
    So from that point I said enough is enough im not doing his lawn anymore. With over 110 customers it's more of a favor anyways, i dread the stop everyweek when we do his 3 neighbors.

I sent out a letter this past weekend telling him that we won't be doing his lawn anymore. He called today saying that the township gave him a warning about the grass. I hope they cut it ($125.00) including a fine.

My question is should i have done it sooner? I never liked him this was just the "straw that broke the camels back. should I have let him know before the grass got so high.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

yes you should have. it's better just to get it over with, send the cancellation letter and be done with it. no need to leave him hanging like that. no matter how good it feels to think, "well he deserved it for all the times he was pita", it's better just to end that customer account professionally and quickly.... and especially since you service 3 of his neighbors.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i think it serves him right. hes been a thorn in your side for 6 years. a little payback is just what the doctor ordered.
  4. might make a follow up call at 4 am making sure he got the letter.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ha ha ha ha ha
    That's the kind of guy who used to get a flaming bag of dog poo on his doorstep back in the day!
    I'm cracking up just remembering some of them now!
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute...It was HIM that put you off 3 weeks in a row,....mot you. It would be different if YOU didn't get to him for 3 weeks and then sent a cancellation letter, but this isn't the case. If he thought you were coming in to cut a months worth of growth for nothing, I'd say he was barkin' up the wrong tree. he can find someone else.
  7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, this would be one of those times where I wouldn't be very professional. I'd of sent him packing the first time he interruped my beauty sleep. You shouldn't feel bad either. This guy was probably an A-hole when he was young too. Being old doesn't give you the right to be a jerk.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

ya YOU'RE RIGHT.. I wasn't thinking about that.. ya, if he cancelled for 3 weeks and then you sent the cancellation note out the next week, you really couldn't have sent it much sooner.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea i mean the whole realtionship should have been nipped in the bud years ago, but back then we were considered so-called SCR*BS. we gave him an inch and he took a mile.
  10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

It feels GREAT to drop a pita by never showing up. I know that you should be professional, but when a customer has been nothing but a royal pain in the a$$ it just feels great.

What amazes me about pitas that complain every time your there, will call you everyday for 2 weeks leaving messages wondering when you are going to cut.

As the days go on...the messages get nastier.

And when you pass by the account, you laugh at the grass.

That is payback!!!