1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am l out of line ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, Jun 15, 2012.

1. duckworth

duckworth LawnSite Member

2 pulls ,100',50' very rocky ground had stop to remove rocks a couple times.l run a dw 100 sx.pulling 3/4 PVC .l charged $ 280 for 2 men and machine, pipe included schedule 40.my customer thinks l'm out to lunch.am l high ?
  2. southgalawns

southgalawns LawnSite Member
    from ga

I wouldn't think so, tell him to go rent the equipment and try it himself and then say its too high.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

and his qualifications are?
    time was including travel?
    total expenditures including beer?
    all of us, including me have spilled more at dinner than that. i would have been happy with that price.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds extremely reasonable. I would have charge more.
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I do not think you need to come here to justify that price. More than fair.

What kind of cheap customer is this?
  6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Better yet tell him to dig it by hand then ask if $280 is out of line.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Some people do not understand the concept of money, and running a business with equipment and business expenses. My mom is one of them. She thinks everything should be one dollar (a little exaggeration, but you get the idea). She is SHOCKED at the price of anything - product or service. And she doesn't understand that what I charge, is not going in my pocket. She is also always broke, and unfortunately I have been supporting/enabling her for years. But it's mom, I gotta do it.
  8. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

Don't really pull anything here, it's all basically trench work. That said, I am with Dana, I think you are actually well below what should have been charged.

I inform most customers on short one or two hour jobs like this that the second a small mini ex or trencher is needed it will be $250 for that equipment use before anyone gets out of the truck and starts working. Then they pay separately for materials and labor. Im not in business to break even or lose money and with the cost of overhead these days if you take yourself, two guys and a machine out to a job it's costing your company a lot of money.
  9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sounds low to me, but I also am in trenching country.
  10. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree with most that that is more then fair. I assume 2 Man ours was the actual site time? So there is loading and unloading at the shop, travel, specialty equipment, the know how....

Don't drop a penny from that price!