AM radio reception

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnspecialties, Jan 7, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have the new 26 hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki on my SuperZ. As you're aware, this is the engine which has been laid on its side to eliminate the gearbox (at least I guess that's why they did it). My former SuperZ had the 27 hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki with the gearbox. Do you have any idea why my AOSafety radio headphones have a bunch of interference on the AM stations when cutting with this machine. My old SuperZ didn't have this problem. Not a big deal, but I don't get to hear Rush now. Any ideas or fixes?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not really sure, that is a really good question though.
    I know we updated the wiring harness due to it being a different series of engine.
    Some of my first thoughts would be to the ignition modules and maybe something in the new wiring harness.
    I will ask our engineers and see what they say.

Pj

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

My SZ 28efi causes some interference also. I thought it might be the spark plugs. I was told years ago that spark plugs with an R after the number stands for resistor and stops inteference.

Would this make sence and do the plugs that come with the machine have the R on them. If not, would it be ok to replace them with a resistor plug.

I was told this many years ago and am pretty vague on it!

4. lawnspecialties

I should have specified this earlier, the interference (buzzing noise) is by far the worst when the blades are engaged. It reminds me of the old days when you had to use resistor spark plugs in a car or the radio reception would buzz. It's definitely some kind of electrical interference and only affects the AM stations. Thanks.

5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say your feet, hands, or butt are to close to a ground. Or the Earphones have been damaged. No radio expert but know that grounded wires kill reception

6. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

You need to look somewhere else. NGK BPR4ES plugs are used in Kawasaki. "R" in designation stands for "resistor."

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, so SZ's have a resistor plug already! So why does the machine cause interference. My JD diesel dosent do it and Im guessing because it dont have plugs!

Granted, when im in a low signal area (in the hills) is when I get the biggest problems. Have to turn the radio off sometimes, but has signal when the mowers not running.

I dunno, if its not the spark plug, it must be in the wiring!

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have not heard from our engineers if they know what would be causing this.
    I will ask again and see what I can find out, it truly is odd.

Pj

9. lawnspecialties

Thanks Pj, I'll keep waiting.

I'm with Mick on the wiring. Like I said, my 27hp lq Kawasaki never caused this. My tractor doesn't cause this. FM stations are not a problem on this
    26hp Kaw. But when I switch over to AM, bzzzzzzzzz.

Might be the liberals sabotaging my Rush reception. I mean, I am a self-employed man who believes he has to do whatever it takes to provide for his family without any government assistance AND capitalism IS a key component to this nation being the greatest in the history of our planet. Somebody stop me! I must continue this in another thread!

How did I get so worked up. It's just a little radio interference. I'll await to hear from you Pj.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Try unpluging the voltage regulator and see what happens. You saying that when the PTO is switched on makes me think it is in the power system and most likely the charging system. If this is so you may be able to put a capacitor (condenser) on the voltage regulator output like they did on the older cars at the coil and alternator to help kill the RFI. By the way I would not plug or unplug the voltage regulator while the engine is running because it may spike it.