Amazed by new start ups

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Desertdweller, May 16, 2006.

1. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Maybe it's just me but I've been reading these forums and can't believe how many start ups seem to have no knowledge of what they're doing. We all had to start sometime but shouldn't you have at least some basic knowledge of the industry your in?

Questions like "How much should I charge for ____?" or "Getting ready to install a sprinkler system, what heads should I use?"

Didn't these guys work for a company first? Many won't last the year with the questions that keep coming up.

I worked for a guy for 5 years before I went out and knew how to bid, where to buy product plus how to do all the work. If you want to be successful, LEARN THE BUSINESS FIRST!!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

2 montes ago i's couldnnt spell lAwn Car Operetor, Todays I's is one.
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i learned by screwing up my own place, when i wasn't screwing it up anymore, started reading everything i could get my hands on and started making $$. most things are not too difficult and there is always someone who will help you, especially on this site. estimating is common sense if you know your expenses. if you can't figure your expenses and understand what is/isn't profitable, work for someone else before you hurt your own family
  4. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Agree, most stuff is not too tough to learn but at least learn it. Just saw a thread, "OK, I've started. How do I get customers?" It's that kind of thing that I'm amazed at.
  5. srqlawn

srqlawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Even though I am soon to be new to this business as well, I am a little suprised at how many questions are around "how much should I charge?" that I have seen over the last month..... these are things that should be answered with a good business plan from the very beginning.

As far as technical questions to the business, I can't blame them for asking those....I know I will be posting a few here or there. Fortunately for me, I'm a very fast learner...
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

You would have been better off building your own business for those 5 years imo and so what if ppl don't know everything about lawn care. We want to take care of lawns not practice medicine. I didn't know how to sharpen blades now I do, didn't know how to charge, so mang options monthly, weekly, biweekly, mulching bagging etc. I hired an experienced guy (have since fired him) he didn't know much more than common sense and what does working for a company teach you about running a company? granted when I started window cleaning com. I was a pro but I still thought I would have been better off building a biz than working for the man for all those years.
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats one of my pet peeve questions unfortunetly, it is also one of the most important. These guys that say I don't drop my gate for less than $35 bucks here, if I did that I wouldn't have any customers. I don't feel like I'm a lowballer but that some of my customers and others that I gave estimates to, they are the damn low ballers. I made a few bad prices and some ok ones, I'll take the good jobs with the bad for now (just started lawns this year).
  8. MowForLess

MowForLess LawnSite Member

One of the toughest things about lawn care. Nothing is really regulated including the price. There are two ways to look at it. If you are Brickman and get low balled by a guy who can do the same job for less, well then, I bet you would be pissed. But the new guy better have is papers together and insurance. If you are the new guy, you better do the job you promise otherwise, don't think that when you went lower on price to get the job, there is not a guy with a 21" YardMan pushmower right behind you ready to chop you down for 6 bucks less....
  9. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Amount charged has to figure.....the equipment....the work...and the knowledge and experience the person doing the work has under his belt.
    It irritates me to see so many "don't have a clue's" expecting to charge the same as a true professional.
    Learn the trade working for a reputable company and THEN try it on your own.
  10. DadsLawnCareInc

DadsLawnCareInc LawnSite Member

icen. verreee funnneee.