1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Amazing!! The difference a little higher...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 27, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

income makes. Last week, we started our spring scalp mowings for all of our returning customers. We started in a town where the incomes are a little higher than average.

Today (Monday) we started in a town with middle class average incomes. My phone has been ringing off the hook with people calling to say "Are you guys already mowing? It doesn't need it." Then I explain this is just the spring scalp and we won't start regular service for a few more weeks. They are always ok with that.

But the difference in acceptance is what I find amazing. The people in the above average income city didn't care a bit. The people in the average income city are acting like $25 is going to kill them.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

yeah, its funny how that is...my higher income people pretty much want me to keep things looking good and "just send the bill"...they always pay and rarely complain.
  3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

It is early...Most companies dont start for another 2 weeks...Why are you charging $25 for Scalping?...It should run 2 or 3 times the average mowing price...
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

One word = revenue.

Its been a long winter
  5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I agree. It is a LOT more work. I am still able to make a tiny profit on the spring scalp and pay my guys well. I would really like to charge double for the spring scalp, but the problem is, I am already on the phone with a new client for what seems like an eternity. By the time they call and inquire about lawn mowing and weed control and shrub trimming, I am talking to them 15 minutes on the initial phone call. There just isn't any time to explain that the spring scalp is more expensive and then explain why we do it and why it's more expensive. I am already approaching information overload with half of these people anyway.

Even if we did take the time to explain that the spring scalp is more expensive, 90% would forget and then call to complain when they get their credit card statements.

The nice thing about the spring scalp is that it enables us to "fabricate" another cut on all of our clients earlier in the year. Once the spring scalps are finished, we start the door hangers and then on March 13th we start regular service.

DFW Area Landscaper
  7. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I understand the problems with charging a higher amount...Guess its not worth, all the explaining you would have to do, and the inevitable chargebacks, I am already running into the same problems...My customers can be so dense sometimes :dizzy: doesnt matter how I explain the increase in price, I almost always get a call, * I noticed that you charged me 3 times the amount I authorized...Im calling my credit card company* blah blah blah... I tell them very kindly that we already discussed this and then I have to re-explain about all the extra work involved...maybe I should charge normal price...and let my customers know there getting a great deal because I like them so much :sleeping: ...and start the year off on a good note...
  8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I've never done this.... how necessary is it? If you guys can convince me I'll call all my customers and tell them I'm going to do it!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it's for Warm Season grass only
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

what type of grass. I never did any spring scapling in Florida....now we would cut the the bermuda on the field here at G-town real low to kill back the winter rye....