1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Amazing Youth

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jdmtnbikr, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

I am amazed at the number of teenagers running their own "business" on this site. Can someone explain this to me? I have never heard of any industry like this before, where kids 14, 15, 16... can legally run their own business. I am assuming most if not all of them are non-licensed or insured? How can a teenager get licenses/insurance? Are the laws different state by state? I am not trying to bash them at all, I am just genuinely curious. I guess if a kid in jeans showed up on my doorstep asking if I needed someone to mow my lawn, I would be impressed, and maybe give them a shot! Hmmmm maybe it is an advantage :)
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am one of em. Most of us aren't lisensed or insured because companys won't insure us, which i can understand. If i could become insured and lisensed, i would in an instant. Look at my equipment list, and the lists of some of the others kids on here. A lot of the others and i are serrious about this and i know this is my career of choice. I love it!!
  3. mcwlandscaping

By no means am i saying that the equipment makes the person serrious or not as someone with a craftsman tractor and electric trimmer could be serrious but thats all they could afford for now. But, the equipment does make an impression on professionalism and serriousness in the industry.
  4. Jdmtnbikr

Like I said, I am not bashing at all. I am just genuinely curious. Aren't you guys ever worried though about getting nailed for lack of licenses or insurance?? Maybe I wouldn't give TOO much information about who you are on this site if I were you guys... You never know who is reading it. Not that I promote illegal business practices, I am just saying..

You do sound like someone who is serious though, and someone who will get the proper legalities done when you can.
  5. mcwlandscaping

No im not worried too much, i just don't go all out with advertising and such. I am selective with my areas and carefull with every little thing i do. I do worry about breaking something and being sued more than anything though, if that happened, my entire family let alone my operation would be highly effected if we got sued. I understand you weren't bashing me or any other persone here, i just wanted to answer the question as in depth as i could. OH, welcome to lawnsite, just noticed you joined recently!!
  6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, different states different laws. I was able to get insured and licensed at 16 I was even able to get my applicators license all of it in my name only too. But it does not matter to me anymore because I will be 19 this year. Here's my list of equipment.
  7. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I am 17 years old, new to this site. I have been in biz since i was 15. I have been completely legit for the last two years. Taxes, insurance, all that good stuff. I dont do any chem. apps., but plan to get my license within a year so that i can take advantage of the extra money to be made there. It is possible to be completely legit, but connections do help. I have my insurance through the same company/agent that my parents and grandparents have dealt with for a long time. IMHO, if a young guy is gonna be in this business, BE LEGIT! If you are doing it to just make a little extra money, still do everything on the up and up. It is not worth the risk from the IRS, accidents, etc. not to.
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I too am one of those minors in this business. my equipment may not all be commercial grade, but thats due to what I can afford. soon as I can afford to, its newer commercial stuff, licensing, and insurance for the business.
  9. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

Isnt this common?

When I was younger thats the only way I could ever make money.....mow grass.

I never did it on such a professioinal level as guys on here do. I always used the home owner's mower and did their work, and I undercharged big time....but hey....when I had no expenses, and I was that young....$15 would go a long way!

You could use your parents as the legal business owners(if you trust them), then make yourself an employee. But thats if you were concerned. I would just make sure you handle you're taxes....ultimately thats all that matters as far as getting in trouble. If you break something expensive....with you being under 18...you may not be liable? (im not sure though?)
  10. Jdmtnbikr

Actually you bring up a very good point. Not many places I know of would hire kids under 18 years old. If you wanna make money, you do what you can I guess.