Ambushed by customers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cg1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. cg1

cg1 LawnSite Member

I want to vent about a pet-peeve I have when I pull up to a residential estimate. Though I love talking to people and doing my job, I can't stand when they are standing in the front yard waiting for me to show up (on time, of course) and then they immediately approach my sales vehicle and stand right by the driver door - all before I even have a chance to undo my seat belt and gather my materials. I want to give them my keys and tell them to park it around back! Give a man some breathing room!

How about when you go into their homes and they have out of control kids and dogs that are jumping on you and yelling so loud you can't hear yourself talk?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I like those opportunities. Figure it is easier to sell myself over people who don't like such circumstances.

3. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I feel you there but, spitters are even worse... get right in your face and then the rain begins.

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I had a neighbor of a client catch me before I put the truck in gear to leave today. He stood so close to my door that I had to roll the window down to tell him he was too close to the door for me to get out of the truck to talk with him.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I get confused, I know it's diffrent parts of town. City's, and States.

I just dropped a customer yesterday because she complained.
    We simply dont take any CRAP.

its done our way, or get someone else.

Why do you guys put up with all the CRAP, Just drive off.

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

a friendly person with a small personal space is crap?

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't mind neighbors who want to inquire about my services... maybe some LCO's are alergic to new clientel... It's defiantely not a waste of my time... it's just part of the territory. If someone hates human interaction so damned much maybe being in the service industry isn't for you.

8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with ya. Only problem, if I decided not to put up with the crap, I don't think I would have many customers left. :laugh:
    I know what you mean cg1. I really hate trying to talk over screaming children and stupid dogs that are treated like children.

9. cg1

cg1 LawnSite Member

In my 'hood there are so many gossip websites and community bulletin boards I'm terrified to make anybody mad! Once those gossip hounds catch a business they don't like, they tear them apart. Even though I may not like talking over kids, having dogs jump on me, or being ambushed by overly zealous customers at my car door before I can even unbuckle my seatbelt - I pretend I like every bit of it!

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We all understand what you are saying, personally I don't care for it either. I also don't care for when you are leaving and they feel the need to walk out to the truck with you so they can take a peak inside. But you have to also look at it from the perspective that they must really be interested in having the work done, otherwise why would they waste the energy to be anxiously waiting for you.

We all know that when you go on an estimate you have to stand out from the competition and let the customer know what makes you different for whatever reason. So why not keep a few dog treats with you along something that may distract a crying child for a few minutes so the potential customer can actually absorb what you are trying to offer.

Just a idea.