American manufacturing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, Apr 6, 2012.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Sherman, if you don't mind my asking, what portion of your products are domestic vs. foreign and do your fixtures qualify under the terms that Steve Parrot noted above?

2. dglights

dglights LawnSite Member

Hi Gregg, we manufacture/assemble everything in the US, including electronics and LED modules. The only component not manufactured state side are the optics which account for less than 1% of product cost. I think most manufacturers of integrated LED are producing in the US, it allows for more design control and flexibility.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You can ad Philips / Hadco to the list. They are made in the USA.

4. ELumin8

ELumin8 LawnSite Member

Sorry Jim, Hadco is made in China just like many of the other "import & re-branding" companies mentioned in this thread.

It's complete joke to see companies call themselves a manufacturer(forms raw materials into finished products) when they are clearly a wholesale distributor(buys in large quantities and then breaks bulk), or an importer(bring goods from an outside source), and some are simply branding goods under a private label and still make the claim of being a manufacturer. And the best yet is when someone calls themselves a manufacturer just because they provide a design idea or have the factory change the function or form, reality tells me they should call themselves an engineers or designers assistant at best, ya it's your design but have enough balls to give credit where it is due and take credit for what you honestly contribute to the overall product.

Any takers willing to step up and add to this? Should we scrutinize a little more aggressively when someone claims they are a manufacturer?

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Okay. That may be true. That's just what I was told. I don't really care one way or another. Of course I'd prefer things to be made in America. But I've resigned to the notion that things being made in America doesn't really happen much anymore. The lighting I install is made in China. The irrigation I install is mostly made in Mexico. The computer I'm typing on was made in Japan. It's that kind of world now, I guess. :rolleyes:

6. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

7. ELumin8

ELumin8 LawnSite Member

Jim, I agree with you there! My computer is also from Japan but my desk is from Sweden.

I think the main factors are fair price, quality of product, and dependability of distributor to honor the warranty if the manufacturer decides to fold.

I have been known to use a BL5016 or too myself.