1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

American Red Cross won't pay up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Nov 19, 2002.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We did some work for the American Red Cross here in MA back at the beginning of June that came to $900. We have been billing them every month and for the past 2 months i have been calling them just about every week trying to get our check. They keep giving us some different lame stories. Just wanted to warn any of you who may have the oppurtunity to do any work for them. Im assuming this is a one time situation but i just wanted to warn everyone after i saw the CVS/Daystar thread regarding the same topic.
  2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How about call or email the national headquarters and if that does work talk to the local paper to call them to check it out why they are not paying.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Email Bill O'Reilly at Fox News. He would probably love to hear about this. He's been on their case about several issues (9-11 money being held up, one of the local administrators spending a zillion dollars having his office remodeled, ect). You may even be asked to appear on "The Factor"....talk about advertising! :D

Good luck getting your dough. Hopefully they wont try to pay you off in plasma. ;)
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Might be time to start making some surprise personal apperances.
  6. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Ever heard of CHARITY??????? The Red Cross is a non-profit charity that performs a vital service. They rely heavily on VOLUNTEERS in order to perform these services. I have done tons of volunteer work for my county's Red Cross and would never dream of sending them an invoice. Come on man, give it a break, the next major tradgedy may happen to you and guess who will be there giving you a helping hand - I hope it's the same person you're dogging on the phone!
  7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

You wouldn't want you're $900? I hope you're joking, charity my @#$ I'd be wanting my money too!
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Charity is nice,but if he was supposed to get paid then the shoud be paid,The bank still wants the same amount of money every month,for the mowers,the guy inside the gas station didnt give him the fuel to do the work,wear and tear,etc...Ifi had done the job,I would have donated some back,no where near 900.BTW I mow for profit,not charity,i donate some of my profits to charity as I see fit,this is theft of service.,not charity.
  9. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

We need more info in order to know whether or not this guy is really owed the $900. For instance, was a written estimate submitted? If so I'm sure it had to be presented to the board for approval. If this did happen then they should pay. It's possible that this guy made a deal with a volunteer or someone who had no authority to enter into a contract and if that's the case then this guy is SOL and should write it off as a donation or bad debt.
    Personally I wouldn't ask for payment in the first place knowing as I do how the Red Cross depends on donations of services. If I couldn't afford to do it for free I would have just passed on the job. I've seen contractors donate services far exceeding $900 so that's not unusual.
  10. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

VLM why don't you just pay the bill so the red cross doesn't have to. Pro turf was asked to do a job and he did it so he deserves to be paid, Pro turf must be owed the money because he said that they are giving him excuses about his check he didn't say that the red cross is denying they owe him money. This is a buisiness and if we all gave away work we wouldn't be able to survive. VLM is it just the red cross we should give free work to, what about the salvation army, the widow who lives on social security, What about the single mom with three kids. In a perfect world it would be nice to give everyone a break but in reality that $900 check goes a far way when it is time to pay your bills and payroll. I have given plenty of donations but it was always after I was paid and it was my choice to do it.