American vrs. Hispanic labor

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jun 26, 2002.

1. I have switched to Hispanic labor some weeks ago and am very impressed with the work ethics they have shown, proved, and given.

Although my main objective was not to lower payroll as it did considerably, but to get quality, reliable employees.

These guys are not H2B but green card legal aliens.

So far I don't have all the whinning and fussing about having to work, or to get "lazy" guys motavated to work.

Thes guys are "ON TIME" or early and ready to work when they arive.

I don't have to repetely ask to have any maint. done on the equipment, much less asked it to be done once and it is done every day

I had trouble getting the other guys to blow the mowers off before they return to the shop. Today "I" forgot to do it and was reminded that it was not done.

These guys come to work wanting to work Saturdays even after already putting close to 50 hours in during the week. They even want to work Sunday!!!

I have tried most everything to find quality employees locally and with no luck, I have over paid people to keep them, and found they got lazier as the pay rate increased.

I have tried bonuses, and many other types to get productivity levels up, with no success.

The lanuage barrier is not that diffacult to overcome from my experiance. I have a few english to spanish translators and found them to take more time than what it was worth over just simply showing them how to do what I wanted.

They have picked up the techniques I have showed them in a matter of hours as apposed to simply half a$$ing it as others have done in the past.

So far they have been very through on their work and shown a great level of pride in their work.

I have cought them looking at other LCO's working and seen smirks on their faces, as to some disbelife to how funny it was.

I see them looking for ways to improve what they are doing and to make them sleves more efficient in their work. No more trimming the side of the tree you can see from the house.

I have noticed the respect they give to the equipment they are using. No abusing it, getting off to pick up sticks, and placing the stick so the customer can remove them or throwing them in the woods. Not running them over or thowing them to the side they have already cut.

I am pleased with this new direction, and wanted to pass on the findings I have found.

If you can't find quality employees, look to Hispanic labor and/or the H2B program.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I had put something that alluded to what you are saying. Each morning their is a group of Hispanics that wait for "George the window washer". He has 5 guy's working for him. They are always ready 10 minutes early. One of the guy's, which I actually talked about, I see walking up the street after work at 5 o'clock to start his "second job" as bus boy at "The Store". He works till eleven almost every night.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said earlier...I agree with a lot of what LGF hs been saying. Then again, as being an Amercan worker and business owner...I think I do my part.

In other words, I think I work my butt off to make the god almighty dollar. And I admire others around me that do the same...employee or employer.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LGF, some quick questions:

>These guys are not H2B but green card legal aliens.

How did you hook up with these guys? I can't see them replying to an add with the language barrier. Just curious.

>I see them looking for ways to improve what they are doing and to make them sleves more efficient in their work. No more trimming the side of the tree you can see from the house.

Alright, you lost me on that one. You mean you really don't trime the side of a tree that faces the house? Wouldn't that mean the customer sees it?

>I am pleased with this new direction, and wanted to pass on the findings I have found.

An encouraging post, thanks. Keep us updated.

5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a 4th year spanish student. Can anyone fill me in on some of the vocab used in this industry like ZTR, weed wacher, blower, etc... I know a mower is cortadora de cesped, but i think that's jsu a standard "lawnmower"

6. I have had guys only trim what can be seen from the house. Customers didn't complain, I saw it when I was there to do somthing or mow.

I don't know if it was for laziness or what, but it did happen a few times.

Belive it or not, I bugged (begged) my hispanic trash man to find me some legal warm bodies.

So far it has been a joy to train them appropriatly.

No more cheating, bad habbit, or short cuts, It is done the way I want it to be.

7. Yardboy, we found it best to sort of make up names in espanol for the tools.

Altough weed eater is weeda or maquina

Lawn mower is podedora

Blow is soplay

Blower is soplar

wheel barrow is carta

More or less they know what I mean, if I have no clue I just point to it and they tell me.

8. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I have worked them in the paston Golf courses. All in all they were pretty good employees. If I ever needed any help I would just ask a couple of the best guys I had ( older guys ) and help would be there the next day.

Funny thing though. Every one that I hired had a drivers license, Res. alien card, and soc. security card. they looked genuine. They would claim 6 to 8 dependants on their tax forms( even the 18 year olds). At the end of the year when I handed out w-2's I found all of them in the trash can at the end of the day.

They come from a very poor country and yet they laughed at me when they find out your pushing thirty and don't have any children. Maybe if their mentality changed, on that, Mexico wouldn't be such a bad place.

I really liked most of the guys that worked for me in the past BUT I don't see me hiring any for my business. Sorry!

9. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

I have found Hispanic workers to be great wokers. I have also found some excellent American workers. The biggest difference between the two seems to be that a much higher percentage of the American guys I've hired have quit because the work is to hard for them.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well said..........
    Or, put another way, too many Americans just don't want to do physical labor.
    Pete