Ames Steel Spring Rakes- the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevinsky, Nov 17, 2005.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I've been using this brand rake for years. Is there a more durable rake out there? I saw a Forestry rake at Russo's that I might give a try.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree with your assessment. We have two and have used them for leaves, trimming cleanup and ??? for a three, maybe four seasons. They seem to last forever, and they get heavy use. I have used two pair of Vise-Grips to reposition the curve on the end of the tines -- they tend to straighten themselves out a bit. I know of nothing better to get leaves out of ground cover (myrtle, English ivy, pachesandra) than these steel tined rakes. One person working the hand blower, the other with the rake, working the same area. The combo works better than either of them separately. I'm sure a backpack would be better, but we "use the horses we have in barn."

Yea, yea -- I know, some of you ask "what is a rake?" But, for some of us, a rake is a key tool in doing the leaf work for the properties on our list.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a case of Ames rakes about 2 years ago, they have been the best I've ever used. They are black with the yellow fiberglass handles. I got them from Lesco, and last I heard they weren't carrying them anymore. I'm down to my last 4, hope I can find more!
    In the past, I was going through about a dozen per year, this case has lasted almost twice as long.