Amish employees?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kykutter, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Kykutter

Kykutter LawnSite Member
    from ky

Finding good help is getting to be a pain. We have a rather large Amish community here.Alot of contractors,homeowners,etc. hire them for help on a part time to full time basis. Sure you have to pick them up and take them home,but once you have them they cant leave either, unless they walk.

Have never worked them myself but i can see the benefits,i think.
    Hard workers,no cell phones,they bring their lunch, and a lower hourly rate than what most young punks think they deserve.

Has anybody used them for work?

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

No I havent. But when I went to MA for vacation one summer, I noticed they live very simple lives. Do you think they wouldn't have a problem operating motor operated equipment? (mowers, edgers, trimmers etc) Most of the work I saw them do was all done with manual, non motorized equipment. Or would they be doing other things like planting shrubs, seeds, etc?

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

that's it, pay em' less for working harder and being good employees.... :hammerhead:

you had me convinced right up until I saw that.....

I don't know if I'd pick up, back and forth from work though....

Can't they ride their horse and buggy into town?

4. Kykutter

Kykutter LawnSite Member
    from ky

They will use your power equip. mowers,trimmers,saws,etc. just not allowed to own it themselves i guess. They will use tractors and loaders on their on farms if it does'nt have rubber tires. One family has a sawmill with 2 rubber tire loaders that i get mulch from sometimes,but they have a guy hired to run them that is not amish.
    BTW,i can get a 7x12 dump trailer loaded to max with mulch for $40.

As far as pay goes they set the price not me.I pay my guys for a full day on rainouts,buy their lunch,drinks,give them advances etc. I'm not cheap. I just want someone to be there when their supposed to and do what their supposed to.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

WTF is amish some kind of Indian?

6. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

:laugh::laugh:

Wow I guess they dont have any in Alabama. They are a group of German immigrants that live simple lives like their in the early 1900's. Mostly found in Lancaster, Pa and Ohio.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

the amish live close to hear and i see them out working most all the time building houses, roofing, or siding....watching them they work hardand they do good work too

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

How about the Amana Colonies in Iowa

9. Hoss315er

Hoss315er LawnSite Member
    from NY

Try mennonites! They are very similar to Amish but drive vehicles(as long as the vehicle is black or white).

They dress the same and such...there "Amish Lite" but, I think they work just as hard building, making quilts and baked goods, furniture etc.

Not that I think about it I think this growing business is a family of Mennonites.
    Sensenig's Mulch & Top Soil

I got mulch from them for a commercial acct. I had when I was in biz.

Sorry for all the info.

10. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We have very few if any amish around here but the other day i saw 3 of them a guy and 2 girls 2 of them on walkers and the other was edging lol..