1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ammonium Sulfate

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by terrapro, May 10, 2009.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that insists on an ammonium sulfate app because it was reccomended by the extension office. I am trying to sell her on a compost app to go with it and a C/T and molasses app.

Ive used urea spread lightly under compost with good results but never ammonium sulfate. They reccommended 5lbs per K so I was going to half that to help to keep the fert burn down.

Also should I still be able to apply the C/T and molasses? This wont cause more burn when involving the ammonium sulfate in the mix will it?

It might end up just an ammonium sulfate, C/T, and molasses app. Would this cause any burn?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Depends on the salt content of your compost... if it is low, it will help the 21-0-0

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

just lay it on her, if the soil ph is high then maybe a need...... oh shite did i just say that.....

4. terrapro

Soil pH is high-ish, so is the compost. Salt content of compost is 1.1 dS/m.

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

terra, you applied urea, why are you up tight about the AS?

AS is basically the same as the urea except with sulfur

sulfur is a necessary secondary/macro plant nutrient. plus your soil is alk?

6. terrapro

Ive never spread ammonium sulfate under compost before. Wasnt really sure about how the evaporative gases would deal with being locked in by the compost. Then watering which will speed up the dissolving and releasing of gasses maybe compounding the issue.

I guess I am being more paranoid then I need to be. It is on 38K of turf so that could be a pricey replacment process.

Yes this property is alkaline, this is my second alky this spring. :confused:

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

apply it on top then if your worried?:) and go light maybe? my best guess along as you don't over apply you will be fine... big yard too..cool!

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Seems like all extension services are stuck in the agricultural mind set. All the recomendations I see here in CT are old farmer tricks. Everybody wants 10-10-10. The cheapest crap fert they can get their hands on. Recomended by people with phd's at the end of their name!!

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My recommendation to clients who insist they need synthetic N is take the recommended rate and reduce it by 2/3.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Urea is a lot more volatile than AS , AS under or over compost should not be a issue. No way would I apply 5lbsK of AS unless you want to be mowing twice a week.