1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

amount of customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i'm a solo opp. i have 15 weekly accounts and 3 bi-weekly accounts. is this a lot? is it a lot for a Part timer? i do it all myself with one exmark lazer z, a trimmer and 2 blowers. all residential and 1 commercial. biggest lawn takes 2 hours.

i'd like your thoughts. thanks
  2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds just right for a part timer. A few more wouldn't hurt.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It all depends on how much you service your accounts. There is a big difference if they are mow and blow as opposed to weeding, hedges, mulching, tree/shrub care, etc. Never compare yourself to any other LCO. Do what you feel comfortable doing and make how much money you need to make.
  4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Good advice Ken.

Don't worry about everyone else. Do what you can, learn as much as you can, provide the best service you possibly can.

You will grow...if that is what you are wanting to do.
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I agree with KenH too.
  6. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

That sounds good to me also , you know you have to start somewhere, its just amatter of time before you make the big time , just get your-self a good marketing plan and stay with it .Good Luck
  7. wrm53

wrm53 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have to agree.

You have to know your limitations. If you can handle more, then take on more.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm kind of in the same situation. Being in high school and mowing lawns at the same time is kind of tough. I've got 12 weekly accounts and next year I'm looking into buying some accounts from another LCO in town, so I could end up having about 25 or 30 accounts next year. I think you should take on as many as you can and go full time. I know I would. Dang high school....;)
  9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I can't see buying someone elses problems.
    Those 12-25 accounts will blossom into more work than you want if you do a quality job and don't try ripping them off.
    The hard part is not taking on too much.
    It is easy to get jobs now that you won't be able to keep up with in the spring.
    Balance work and fun. Life goes by too fast not to enjoy it.
  10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i plan on taking on as many customers as i can. i would love to purchase another mower next year. i do a lot of advertising, and get many referralls. i do need to learn to be more self motivated though. i admitt that.