1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

amount of seed needed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by medimac, Mar 21, 2006.

1. medimac

medimac LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me the total lbs of seed needed and starter fertilizer I will need for 2 acres. This is my own house that was just built. The property has been graded and is ready to be seeded. Thanks for the help.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Around 525 lbs of seed (assuming 6 lbs per K of area) and 300 lbs of starter fertilizer.
  3. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

sounds about right rod, depends on how heavy you want your seed rate to be. could be less or could be more.
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well that isn't exacly right differant seeds weigh differently. tall fescue i use around 350lbs to the acre and 400lbs of 18-24-12 starter. if you are useing a creeping red it would only take around 250 per acre
  5. rodfather

LOL, how do different seeds weigh differently??? A pound of creeping red fescue weighs differently than a pound of tall fescue? :confused: Or are you talking about germination rates and percentages???
  6. rodfather

Well since it is a brand new lawn, I wouldn't go any lower if it were mine (or a customer's) for that matter.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

rod father what i think he meant to say was kentucky blue vs tall fescue seed wise your going to use almost double the tall fescue. kentucky blue at 4lbs per 1k thats just under 10,000,000 seeds per 1k. tall fescue at 10lbs per 1 k is i wanna say about 5,000,000 seeds per 1k. but its been a long day 10 hours of mulch in 20 degree weather.
  8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

exactly different seeds wiegh differently not a 50lb bag vs a 50lb bag but place one seed of fescue and one seed of creeping red on a three beam scale and you will see the differance. so 50lbs of one may contain twice as many seeds as the other bag of seed
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

600# of seed, why take a chance at a crappy lawn for a few $$$$
    But what Rod said is right, I just like to make sure when everything is worked up rather than having to patch
  10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kentucky blue for example, are small seeds, rye and tall fescue are much larger seeds, and can be put down a little deeper.