amount to charge customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by goat hearder, Apr 1, 2004.

1. goat hearder

goat hearder LawnSite Member

how much do some of you charge to mow a lawn ? and how much extra do you charge to pick grass up ?
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

$20 max. Have a flat rate and your phones will ring off the hook. Dont worry about what others say about charging rediculous amounts to keep the business strong.
  3. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

it really depends on the customer, if i like them, i mow for free.
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey goat herder. The first piece of advice I will give you right now will be one of the most important pieces of advice you will get in the near future. Don't do what "Trevors Lawn Care" says. Yes he is right your phone will ring off the hook, but you will also be doing more work for less pay. If you listen to the others on this site it will be the other way around.

When you look at a lawn to do an estimate. Do your best to figure out how much time it will take, then multiply that number by the hourly rate that you need to charge to make money (Gross profit minus expenses). That is how I do it, and I think most other people do it that way to. Don't tell the customer an hourly rate just say "I can do it for $___ per week."
  5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

woah, caught a live one!

we mow for free too.
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $480.00 to mow some lawns I do. Grass pickup is always included.
  7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

me too. it's either free or $480.00.
  8. Toehill

Toehill LawnSite Member
    from georgia

YOU GUYS DONT CHARGE ENOUGH AT ALL IM $960 just for the front yard backs double the price
  9. goat hearder

goat hearder LawnSite Member

lets say a customer has sod lain and wants the grass picked up. it takes about an hour to mow it. i would estimate a minimum of $60 . am i under bidding my self ? maybee i should charge 75
  10. billc

billc LawnSite Member

You mean you charge for mowing? Don't you do it because it's so FUN?!