1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HokieAg07, Aug 2, 2008.

1. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have an issue on a 2 wire system with a MDC-100 and I need to purchase a ampermeter or multimeter with clamp to measure amp draw so I can pinpoint the issue. I need something that goes as low as 0.5 mA. I just want to see what you guys are running or recommend. I am prepared to spend money on something nice like a Fluke or equal.
  2. Somebody please answer this I'm curious. I'm looking for a new multimeter myself. I'd like a recommendation. Needs to have big digital letters or numbers on the display is my only request.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a three-dollar multimeter from Harbor Freight - thing actually works.
  4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one with a clamp at Radio Shack last year that had a nice readable display without glasses (another sign of getting old, um, more experienced:laugh:).

Don't remember model # and unfortunately meter didn't survive falling off toolbox and onto roadway when some idiot forgot to put it away.
  5. Wet_Boots

I think Harbor Freight also has a cheapie clamp-around. Absent a meter that can read AC current, one can always connect the load current through a precision resistor of low value that won't interfere with anything - then you read the voltage across the added resistor, and calculate the current from the voltage divided by the resistance.
  6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I have two. The Commercial Electric brand multi meter with amp clamp I bought at HD a few years back works fine for my irrigation needs. Cost me maybe $40 tops.

My other one that I guard more carefully is a Greenlee True RMS multimeter that cost me more like $130.

7. Wet_Boots

The OP isn't going to get any sub-milliamp readings from a clamparound, though. If it's AC current, that's more expensive to measure than DC current, unless you employ the resistor trick.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I heard craftsmen has a great one for 40 bucks.....

amp readings with the clips..
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure you've got to have a no b.s. meter to troubleshoot 2-wire;
    I'd buy the baddest Fluke I could get my wet hands on.
  10. Wet_Boots

Fluke rules, but I love my clanky old Triplett 630 and Simpson 269