ams oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trophytkr, Mar 8, 2005.

1. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

does anyone use 2 cycle ams oil? I got some free samples 100:1 mixure.
    Being synthetic do I only need one packet or do I want to use 2 packets to make it 50:1?
  2. rickman

rickman LawnSite Member
    from Maine

mix as it says on the packet...dont try to make it 50-1 it is made that way and will work fine! I know lots of people asked me this many many times worrying about their equipment etc. which I dont blame them,I asked too!
    I have sold AMSOIL for a couple years and use it in my 4 wheeler,motorcyle,weedwacker etc. stuff works great for me.Like I said mix it as AMSOIL tells you to,if you try it anyother way it will be TOO RICH!
    check AMSOIL websites and you can see lots of answers to these questions.good luck hope this helps some
  3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Mix it 100:1. I love AMSOIL. Dont know why people want to mess around with little bottles of Stihl or Echo mix when you can use much better stuff that will cost less in the long run.
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Follow the directions!
  5. rickman

rickman LawnSite Member
    from Maine

glad to see other people enjoy AMSOIL too :cool2:
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

O.K. heres the truth. If you want to mix it at 50:1 you can, however this would be waste of money and to some degree would defeat the purpose of using Amsoil in the first place.

I use Amsoil mixed at 80:1 in all of my 2-cycle equipment and have done so for many years. Is there a reason I use the 80:1 ratio? Yes, I'm paranoid. I like the extra margin of safety. I have to admit though that I used it at 100:1 for a year beforehand.

Amsoil is a superior product because it is able to provide the same lubricating properties at a lower ratio due to synthetics superior film strength. This results in less wear, more power, no fouled plugs, no clogged exhaust ports/spark arrestors. Use Amsoil. You wont regret it.
  7. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Can you change to amsoil in equipment that has been running regular mix or do you have to start when the equipment is new?
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have read posts in other forums that say this is not wise without really giving a good reason. I can tell you that I have switched older equipment right over to Amsoil without any problems what so ever. The answer to your question is absolutely yes. Make the switch. Your equipment will thank you.
  9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a place on-line that sells amsoil?
  10. jtabor

jtabor LawnSite Member

I bought the product back in september it seems to be could stuff. but the reason I am replying is as I was reading the post the phone rang. My Wife said some man for you. He was a amzsoil dealer from san diego that called to ask me how I liked the product. Pretty freaky maybe it is a omen ???? But anyway he told me I could become a prefered customer and that he was sending me a catalog and information how to become one. If I understood him right, He said it would save you about 30 to 40 % on all of their products .If any one is interrested when I get the information I will give it to you. Just drop me a email at He said that I could give out the information to any one. He also said that all of the oil products would be going up in April.