Amsoil and New KAW 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jul 16, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new rider with a 21 Kaw. I need to do the first oil change. i run amsoil in everything else. The dealer told me the rings would not seat properly if I did not use regular oil for the first 500 hours. I called Amsoil they said to use thiers. They said it will run smoother, but the rings will be fine. What do you guys think? Should I use the amsoil or regular oil?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say give it about 250 hours before you switch to amsoil.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would start now. Nothing wrong with it. The 500 hours or even the 250 hours could take you a year or two if not.

4. AuburnGuy

Would the amsoil have anything to do with the rings seating?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That is old school thought. Corvettes come with synthetic in them new. Many brands of cars do now. My new F250 comes with a synthetic blend from the factory. You can use synthetic from the start these days.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I use Red Line Syntheic Oil From 5 Hours On With no problems.
    John

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I'm about a month into a new Snapper 52" Z with 21hp Kaw. It came with the Snapper oil in it which is synthetic. I've continued using the oil as I can get an extra 2 years of warranty on my engine. The oil is about $5 or $6 a bottle but to get 2 more years of warranty it's worth it to me.

8. AuburnGuy

I think i will go ahead and use the amsoil then

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I start mine on syn, at 10 hours. Then go 40-50 hours on a filter/oil change

10. i get a new truck car mower ..first thing i do ,,drain the oil and put amsoil in it.