Amsoil HD metal protector for under the decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, May 12, 2006.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone tried the Amsoil HD metal protector for under the mower decks to keep grass from sticking? I just got a new shipment of Amsoil products in and went ahead and ordered a can of it to try. I won't be able to test it until next week but thought it would work good for decks.
  2. Soupy

I can't be the first Amsoil fan to have bought this product? I just changed blades mid day today and only have 2 lawns to finish up tomorrow. I will scrape the deck when I change blades Monday morning and report back Monday night how it went.

Here is some more info on the product.

MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector
    A heavy duty spray lubricant fortified with special rust and corrosion inhibitors. Penetrates and adheres to metal surfaces, leaving a long lasting protective coating. Apply MPHD to any metal surface that requires a heavy duty lubricant or is exposed to the damaging effects of salt, moisture or chemical corrosion. Works as an undercoat, leaving a wax-like film. Recommended for motorcycle chains. Won't "sling" off. Dry to the touch. Doesn't attract dust. It is ideal for hinges, wire ropes and springs, nuts and bolts, motorcycle or bicycle chains, and for undercoating car doors, wheel wells, rocker panels, seams and other metal surfaces exposed to water, dirt or road salt.
  3. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

I use carnuba wax on the bottom of my deck. Wax it once a month. No grass sticks at all.
  4. Soupy

Yea, I think that is why this stuff might work because it is supposed to leave a wax like finish. I have tried cooking oil, WD-40, and spray lithium grease. The lithium grease worked the best, but it still only last a day. These products still collected grass but made it real easy to scrape. I'm looking for something that doesn't collect much grass at all.
  5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you try fluid flim?
  6. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I would be interested to know how the Amsoil works, I have heard good things about their stuff.

7. Soupy

Not yet..........
  8. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

I never scrape, i always use a pressure washer after everyday and blow all the grass off.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that on most decks it is about as much about how air flows under there as it is about what you might spray on it. I have had some decks that stuff stuck to that a spray helped totally and then use the same on another style deck to no avail.

Anyways, I'm not sure why exactly, but grass does not collect under my Lesco deck. Never has... not even in a downpour. But with some blade styles I've used, I have had like wet clover to collect underneath and such. So personally I think this deck design is not prone to collecting. But I think there is a fine line before the air flow is effected enough by blade design to cause really sticky stuff to collect.
  10. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've thought about this but everything I've ever read about things that have bearings say "DO NOT USE HIGH-PRESSURE WATER" to clean - everything from bikes to car wheels. How long have you been using a pressure washer and have you had any bearing probs??? - thanks - john.