Amsoil Saber vs. Stihl Ultra

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmsoilPower, Jul 23, 2008.

1. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

I know there are a large percentage of you using Stihl Ultra as your 2-cycle oil. But, do you know that it may not be the most cost effective oil to be using in your business. Not to mention, Stihl Ultra has only a JASO FB rating while Amsoil Saber Professional is JASO FD. There is huge difference in the amount of detergency between these two oils. Detergency levels are related to the amount of sludge or carbon build-up in combustion engines. Kinda like the detergent in your laundry. Without it your clothes wouldn't be very clean. With it, you loosen the dirt and grime and is suspended in the water which eventually drains out. In the 2-cycle engine this is acheived with a cleaner (more complete) burn with virtually no carbon build-up. I have given out alot of samples of this oil recently here on LS and the users have posted results to back this up. Easier starting, quicker and smoother throttle response, less exhaust fumes and cooler running are always mentioned. Most users see at least two of these benefits at a time if not all of them. I recommend everyone to try this oil as I think you will be surprised when the fuel can is empty.

Here is a price comparison also. These are Stihl & Amsoil list prices.

Stihl Ultra 1 gal. mix = $1.99 for 2.6 oz.
    Amsoil Saber 1 gal. mix = $1.30 for 1.5 oz.

Stihl Ultra 2.5 gal. mix = $3.50 for 6.4 oz.
    Amsoil Saber 2.5 gal mix = $2.10 for 3.5 oz.

Stihl Ultra 1 gal jug = $62.00
    Amsoil Saber 4 qts (gallon jugs not available) = $36.60

Now, throw in the fact that you could sign as a commercial account and the prices for Amsoil Saber are as follows.

1 gal. mix = $.90
    2.5 gal. mix = $1.50
    5 gal mix = $2.80
    4 qts mix = $27.60

Buy in case quantities and save even more!!!!

Sure you must add sales tax and shipping, but still much less than Ultra. All inquiries about commercial accounts are welcome.

2. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, great post. You are bringing lots of info to this forum, most of it is factual and beneficial :laugh: I'm suprised no one has responded to this post. I know some of you have opinions:dizzy:

3. 93 Blue Z32

93 Blue Z32 LawnSite Member

It will keep your stihl and other equipment out of the repair center. :)

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

O.K. I'm convinced, how do I order?

I have been using the Stihl ultra, but I sure don't like paying $21 for a 6 pack of 2.5 gal mix.

Can I get it in 2.5 gal mix, if so, how many bottles in a case and how much would a case be?

Thanks

5. AmsoilPower

Great to hear. To get the commercial account pricing above, PM or email me your name, business name, address, phone and email. I will do the rest. This account costs you nothing and there are no minimum purchases. Yes you can buy the 2.5 gal mix (12 per case) for $16.80. I will say this. These prices are current thru the end of this month. There will be a price increase (imagine that---oil going up :cry:) on Aug 1. Usually the 2-cycle oil is the least affected by inceases, but we will see. I do not have new price list effective Aug. 1 yet. Let me know what you want to do.

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Is it ok to switch to the synthetic oil, just to test out, then go back to the regular oil? I'm hoping that with the synthetic oil, it will "clean out" the engine a bit with a few tank fulls. Any info on that?

7. AmsoilPower

It will not hurt anything to switch back, but I really don't think you will want to after running the synthetics. As far as "cleaning the engine out", it possibly would over a period of time but not a couple tanks. If you already have alot of carbon build-up, I would suggest cleaning before to realize the benefits of using Amsoil and the lack of build-up after using it.

8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

PM sent, I will be sure to post results.

Thanks

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Email sent to you Hoyt.

10. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Amsoil Power - I live very close to Rochester in downstate Illinois where your location is. Can you tell me if there is anyone that sells it in the Rochester, Chatham, Springfield area? I am interested in giving the oil a shot - especially the Sabre 2cycl mix.