1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Amsoil Saber vs. Stihl Ultra

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmsoilPower, Jul 23, 2008.

1. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the Stihl dealer, if he indeed said it, may wanna sell some new equipment prematurely. Other than that, it makes zero sense to take a chance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

+1
    I believe AMSoil has actually tested saber pro to 300:1 with no issues. Although, AMSoil does state to run saber pro at 80:1 for commercial equipment. That said, no way in hell would I try it with anything else, especially if it suggests to mix at xx:1 ratio.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Amsoil told both myself, and then GMLC when he talked to them, that Saber Pro had been tested to 300:1. The tech told me that the engine showed no signed of wear after doing so during their testing.

I'm not sure where you got that info about 80:1. It's labeled right on the bottle Saber Pro 100:1, and that is the mix ratio they recommended to me on the phone, though they said anything down to 50:1 is fine with 80:1 being very popular.

Go to this link and then scroll down to where it says applications

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/saber-professional/?code=ATPPK-EA

4. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, you're right. It doesn't say anything further than "100:1 for 'normal' applications". I swear I saw somewhere that AMSoil suggests running 80:1 for "severe" duty applications. Regardless, it's still a far superior 2-cycle oil to anything else out there. IMO, next closest thing is Shindy RedArmor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

It says it on the bottle
    Posted via Mobile Device