Amsoil Saber100:1 mix 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brett's Cutting Edge, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

I was at the MGIA trade show the other day and got into a conversation with the rep from amsoil. He was recomending to me that I run there 100:1 premix and it wont void the manufacture warranty. I know that all of the 2 stroke equipment that I run is 50:1. Does anyone out there run this oil and have a preferance between Amsoil synthetic $40.00 a gallon and Conventional $10.00 a gallon. I was thinking of switching to it but don't know about running 100:1 and spending 4x as much money on oil. I am thinking of going to their synthetic oil for the mowers because you would only have to change it every 750-1000 hours compared to the 100 with conventional! What do all of you think?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I had a friend try to sell me on the 100:1 Amsoil. My two complaints were the cost and we could not find out whether it had fuel stabilizor in it or now.

I've been running Opti-2 at close to 100:1 for five years now and never had an oil problem at all. :)
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have not ordered the Amsoil 100:1 yet, but when my current stock of Stihl oil runs down, I will.

The mix ratio os set by the manufactures based on the oil that you use. I know that the homeowner brand equipment (Weedeater, Ryobi, Homelight) recommend 40:1. But if you use the Stihl oil, you can run it 50:1, no problem. Same with the Amsoil. It is actually the oil that determines the mix.

Several guys on this board run the Amsoil 100:1. I am going to so I would recommend it. Since you use less oil at 100:1 then you do at 50:1, you are not paying much more for the Amsoil.

Next oil change on my mowers, etc. I am going to go with Amsoil Synthetic. I run it in my trucks, may as well run it in everything.
  4. lawnspecialties

To me though, we're missing the real point here. If all your equipment runs at 50:1, use any name brand oil that meets your equipments' specs. But once you start getting other equipment that runs 50:1, 40:1, 32:1, etc., then going to Amsoil or Opti-2 makes life so much easier.:)
  5. tank

tank LawnSite Member

We only run amsoil mix because all the different mixes we would have on repair the shop would be full of gas cans.11 years and not one problem. I also run it in my own personal equipment.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use Opti-2 at 80:1 for all my 2 cycle hand held gear (Stihl). The change eliminated the exhaust port clogging problem in a couple of the powerhead units. If cost is your concern, do not buy the pouches, especially the 1 gallon sizes. The $/gal of mixed fuel is very expensive. I buy a gallon bottle and measure out the proper amounts for mixing 2.5 and 5.0 gallon cans.

I did run Amsoil 100:1 for awhile a few of years ago. Frankly, I thought my equipment was running a bit "loose" with that mix. That is why I migrated back to 80:1, and it does run (sound) better.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I run 50:1 for all my 2 cycle equipment and have never had a problem with fouling or anything else. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!! I highly doubt your manufacturer of the equipment you use will honor your warranty if you told them you were running 100:1 so unless you get it in writing don't believe it.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter if the equipment manufacturer warrants it or not. If there is an oil related breakdown or failure due to the use of their oil Amsoil will pay for the repairs. I've been using Amsoil at 80:1 since 2001 and I haven't had a a failure yet.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

While the oil may still have some useful life in it after that many hours it will be full of dirt and crud. If you want to run those kinds of hours I highly recommend the use of a top quality oil filter along with an Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter. Additonally OCIs of that duration should only be done if you get an oil analysis done on a regular interval of around 250 hours or so. You need to know that every hour on a mower engine is equal to 60 miles on a car so you are asking that oil to go the equivalent of 60,000 miles. Not even the most dedicated Amsoil guy is going to do that. Most chicken out at around 20,000 miles. I push my synthetics in my autos to 12,000 and then change it.
  10. lawnspecialties

My dealer who sells me the majority of my equipment also sells me the Opti-2. Warranty issues are not an issue.:)