Amsoil Sabre mix ratios (?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you who have ran this oil long term... what mix ratio do you use?

I tried it a long time ago... 1 gallon at 100:1... engines seemed to get too hot.

Later, I would go back to it... mixed at 50:1... decided that was too rich

Afterwards, I switched to 64:1... seems ok and has been working with success

But now I'm considering trying 80:1 mix ratio because it seems someone was doing this long term with success.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That would be me. One 8 oz bottle in 5 gals of gas does it.

On and off for the last year I've also been trying Stihl Ultra HP synthetic with mixed results. It runs good and everything but now there is oil draining out of my mufflers. On Monday I took a quicky trip back to MD to see family and friends and I stopped in at my Stihl dealer there and asked him about it. He told me to run the Stihl oil at the same 80:1 as I do Amsoil and everything would be fine. Stihl says to run their oil at 50:1 but my dealer said not to worry about it.

He also wants me to bring my BR600 back in for an intake valve guide inspection. He said that in the early models the guide was too soft and has been causing failures. He told me if there is a problem with mine that Stihl will fix it for free.

3. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

80:1
    Starts better
    Less smoke
    Runs cooler
    at least in my echo

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have always used 50:1 in my echo Equipment....thats what the says..:confused:

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

10 years now at whatever the bottle shows per gallon. :waving:
    I am thinking its 100:1 but I like using the little bottles because they are easy to use.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I used Amsoil for awhile, then switched to Opti-2 for all 2 cycle applications (not really sure why I switched). After some experimenting, I too settled on 80:1 for my Opti-2 mixed fuel.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if you and I haven't already discussed it...

At this point in the process, I still have to assume the Opti-2 is better mix oil.

The reason is that I ran the Opti-2 for 4 or 5 years.
    Every 2 cycle engine I've owned since has been much more trouble-free.
    Plus every 2 cycle engine I have owned since has out-lasted the rest of the machine.

I've only been running the Amsoil Sabre for 8-9 months.
    So it's got a long way to go to prove to me it's better than Opti-2.

I would still be running the Opti-2... but it just got to be where it was hard to get around here. All I was ever able to get before hand was a box of the 1 gallon mix packs, which was fine with me. But due to that, I don't know what the mix ratio actually was. It just stated 'universal mix' for all mix ratios. But I do know it smoked less, even less than the Amsoil 100:1. Plus the Opti-2 also has fuel stabilizer in it.

8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i use the little white bottles of it, its meant for 2.5 gal ... i put it in 2 gal.

thats somewhere around 60-75:1

it works super special

9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

That is 40:1.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

richard- i have used the sthil ultra and agree its very good oil but dont think its good enough to run at 80/1. when i use amzoil or opti 2 its at 80/1