Amsoil vs. Mobil One

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

After reading many testimonials to the benefit of synthetic oils, I am considering switching for use in my Walker, Toro wb, and Exmark Lz HP. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone seen any benefit of Amsoil over Mobil One

2. I currently use Opti 2 cycle oil.....has anyone ever compared Amsoil 100:1 mix with Opti, and is there any advantage.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice........
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

This has been gone over here again and again. It boils down to a bunch of guys arguing over something that simply cannot be proven over the internet. It's opinion!

Personally I go with what the manufacturer recommends in his machines. I have never had an oil related problem by following the manufacturers recommendations.

I also fly radio controlled planes and the same argument abounds in that world.

Use what the manufacturer recommends, and change it when he recommends, I guarantee you wont have a thing in the world to worry about. :D

3. Westbrooklawn

Scott -

First, I appreciate your comments and reply. Secondly, you are is just "opinions....", but what I have found is that if you gather enough opinions, and there seems to be a common thread that emerges, those opinions probably represent some facts.

I can tell you that I changed years ago from the "manufacturers recommended" 2 cycle oils to Opti synthetic for my chainsaws, trimmer, and blowers, and it is a fact that they run cooler, cleaner, and have less problems than with petroleum based 2 cycle oils...not just my opinion, but a fact based on years and thousands of hours of use!
  4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

While I agree with Scott, you won't have a thing to worry about if you follow manufacturer's recommendations, I also firmly believe that you can't go wrong using synthetic. Synthetic will flow better at start up - especially in cold conditions, which is when most of engine wear occurs, it will holds its viscosity longer (won't breakdown as quick), and has better lubricating properties. All of that is proven. Now the question is will you keep the engine long enough to benefit, given the additional costs? I plan on it. But even if I don't keep the equipment long enough, I just feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I'm doing the best possible (read overkill) maintenance on my equipment.
    As for Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil, I really don't think there's a substantive difference - either is good. I use Amsoil, mainly because I can have the oil shipped to my door, and Mobil 1 Delvac (diesel oil) is not quite as easy to find. I do use the Amsoil 100:1, but tend to mix it at about 50:1.
  5. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running the opti-4 in my motors for a few years now. Just out of curiosity I switched to mobil 1 for one oil change. I'm going back to Opti in about 10 more hours. There is a difference thats hard to explain. You can see, smell and feel the difference after a few hours on the oils.

BTW, I use the opti for 2 cycle equipment also. There is a huge difference verses the Stihl oil.
  7. Westbrooklawn

Today I ordered Amsoil 10w30 and 100:1 two cycle mix from captdevo. I will post my observations after I use both for a period of time. I have never used the opti 4 oil, but I have had very good luck with the opti 2 for 2 cycle. I will be anxious to see if there is any difference with the Amsoil since it is a little bit less expensive.