Amusement park fun.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Feb 19, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

A local amusement park that will be opening next year sent out letters to several landscapers wanting them to landscape an approx. 300 sq. ft area for free. They will also be asked to maintain it for the first year. They anticipate a 350,000 to 450,000 annual attendance.

Now in turn for providing the landscaping for the prepared area for free, you will be allow to put up a 1' x 2' sign advertising your company.

I am going to a meeting about it tomorrow, I was just curious if anyone has done anything like this before? That is a lot of potential guests looking at your work. But since its an amusement park, about a 6th of those will be home owners. So approx. 50,000, plus more than half of those will be from outside of the area. The area will be prepared and have electricity and water ran to it.

In my mind I was comparing it to advertising in the phone book. The investment would be about the same. I am thinking about 2,000 in supplies, plus labor. More people would see your work at the amusement park, but less people are specifically looking for it. I would also think it would be a good selling tool.

What do you guys think?
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm... personally I wouldn't be to eager to do a whole years worth or work for free, I think I'd be more inclined to spend a little extra in the beginning and have mailers sent out or some other form of advertising. It's a interesting thought though... I've never heard of anything like this, I'd like to hear what others have to say.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It is a costly way to advertise, but sounds like it could have a lot positives to it as well.

1. The amusement park season is during your season, so the folks that see your advertisement may be in need or want at that particular time.

2. You are not just a name like in a phone book. The folks that see your advertisement see your work. This means if your work looks good than you could land a good amount of work.

3. 350k - 450k is a good amount of potential customers. However, most likely the majority that see the advertisement will be preoccupied (i.e. kids ).

I see it as it has great potential, but it is pretty costly. I would look at it this way. Is it an investment that you are willing to make with the potential of little return. It will no doubt help with "branding", and potentially offer you a good avenue for biz. The thing is I would have no idea, because I would have nothing to compare it to and no way to analyze. If you do it good luck!
  4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are considering this avenue, be prepared to visit your display EVERY DAY to "spruce it up". Amusement parks must be kept meticulous and people will probably throw trash, cigarettes, food, etc. on your display and you must maintain it. God forbid you should install a water feature or a sodded area!:hammerhead: IMO I wouldn't do it! Too much hassle and money. After all, the amusement park is really getting free landscaping and maintenance at your expense.

5. drsogr

Yeah that was my first well thats a way to get free landscaping done.

Its definetly out of my way to go up there and maintain it. Surely I wouldn't have to go up there to remove trash. I was planning on having to go up there once a week and lightly spruce it up.

The meeting is tomorrow I am curious what kind of expectations they have. What kind of turnout they have. I don't know if I would get a lot of calls off of it directly, but someone might remember seeing my name there when they get an advertisement or look in the phone book.

There are a lot of new businesses that are going to go in around this amusement park, no doubt some of the execs will be strolling through the park to see how its doing. I am curious as to what kind of perks may be involved?! When would we be maintaining the site...during business hours...non-business hours?
  6. drsogr

I am also curious how they will decide where each landscaper might be placed? There are surely going to be better places in the park than others.

I wish the area was would make it less expensive.
  7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

this is just my 2 cents but when i go to the amusment park in my area i am thinking only about what ride (rollercoaster) im gonna ride next and if im having a hot dog or fried dough,and if i ever saw a nice patch of landscaping with an advertisment in it i could not for the life of me remember it.:nono:
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it could be good if the costs are right. i'd do some type of water feature/wishing well, donate all the change to a charity. i think you'd get some great press off of it as well..
  9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do it and spend all the money to maintain it, will you reach the potential clients you wish to work for? Will they be local, have the disposable income to afford your services or will you be chasing leads that will cost more money with little return. Around here the attendees of amusement parks are not they typical customer I would be working for, but it's up to you to judge the demographics of the park's attendees. It might be great exposure, but at what cost for the return!

10. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I think I'd spend money going to home shows and whatnot before I wasted money on a bunch of out of town business, unless you have multiple locations.