Amusing Observation

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by AllProMow, Nov 3, 2007.

1. AllProMow

AllProMow LawnSite Member

I have noticed, maybe others as well, where people will post about "cheap PITA" customers and "tire-kickers/price-shoppers" that don't want to pay what they think their work is worth and so on; just to turn around two posts later trying to find out where they can buy the "cheapest" blades, trailer, trimmer, etc.. Don't the dealers have bills to pay too? Not trying to ruffle an feathers but it seems a little funny to me.
  2. well thats just ahhh well you know ahhh thats just different.
  3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Bwahahahaha....great observation and they always deal with the one who gives them the best(read:lowball) price.
  4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

thats funny you wrote this . at my full time job i'm always noticing this {i work in a warehouse}. and i see it as i'm doing lawns and reading these posts . funny i never noticed it as much as it happens.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

That is always something that just made me shake my head. Ever since I started coming to this board I never understood it, and I've posted many times about how I like dealing with one shop. They turn my machines around right away, give me loaner machines if I need them, and in turn, I buy all of my equipment and parts from them. Don't forget what so many here say "The cheapest price isn't always less expensive"
  6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with you guys. I just think it is human nature to look for the lowest price. Generally equipment has the same price from one dealer to another. You can look up the retail price, and you know about what you are going to pay. Some may give discounts, but not very much. As far as blades and parts, if you can get the exact same item for much less at one particular dealer then go for it. No one is forcing them to give the discounts. I ask them for a price if I buy 12 blades and they give me their best price. If it is 3 dollars per blade cheaper than the other guy, I'm there. If they want to lose a little money on blades to entice me to use them for other things, that is called smart business.

Service quality is a little different in my opinion. Many LCOs complain about cheap pitas and tire kickers because they are frustrated that many customers don't understand what the average price is for the service. You waste a lot of time walking the property with the customer, just to find out they are tire kickers. If the customers have had a lowballer working for them for several years for $20 per visit, then they call you for an estimate because the lowballer went MIA, and you tell them $45 for the same property, they will think you are nuts. It is frustrating.
  7. landscaper22

If I could find a shop that would turn my machines around right away I would probably do all my business with them as well. I have yet to find one though. They all lie. It never fails. Yea, I can have it for you in a couple of days...Two weeks later, oh yea, I'm working on it right now...Yea right. If they would just be honest and say I have two weeks worth of work ahead of you, but they don't. :nono:
  8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand what you are saying landscaper 22, and I know I'm lucky to have these guys. But I have been dealing with them since 1991 and have spent a lot of money there over the years. It also helped that I helped them move their shop this past winter as well, three days of work with my truck and trailer. So it doesn't matter if they have a month of work ahead of me, my stuff goes in first.
  9. landscaper22

Yea, it's great that you have a dealer like that...I would be loyal to him too.
  10. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

My ZTR dealer is higher $ than the comp.

My handhelds dealer is higher $ than the comp.

And so is our snow dealer. I shop these places because I know we can count on them when we have problems---they grow because they are there for us when the chips are down, and we continue to grow because of their support and our hard efforts.

Support is a two-way street!