1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

An actual phone call from a client today....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Office phone rings this afternoon.

Customer: "This is <name> at <address>. Your company treated 3 lawns in the neighborhood yesterday."

Me: "Yes that is correct"

Customer: "Your company drove a truck through my lawn"

Me: "Uhhhhh....... what?????. I was the person doing the apps yesterday and I can assure you a truck was not driven on your property. There are curbs on your street. I think I would have known this."

Customer: "Well there are tire tracks all through our lawn"

Me: "Ahhhhhhhh.......you are seeing the tire tracks from the Permagreen spreader"

Customer: "What?"

Me: "The application equipment we used left tire tracks in your lawn. That happens all the time"

You can wipe the spit off the screen now.

This is no joke. Most bizarre call I've ever had.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I had a customer call me last year to say it looked like someone had been 4-wheeling in his yard! it was the PG..

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Another reason I like my spray rig.

Thanks.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Should start a thread just on the stupid things customers say. Funny stuff.
    -Jay

5. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am the customer you are referring to, and I dont like being ridiculed@!!!!!!

6. Wow, if you really want to open that can of worms...

Customer (with genuine concern in his voice): Hello, we had a big party over the weekend, and now the lawn looks dead.

Me: Um, what do you mean when you say "the lawn looks dead" is it brown and crispy?

Customer: No, it looks squashed and flattened, like it's been trampled. The grass around the fire pit looks brown and crispy though. Is that grass dead?

Me: I assume there was a big fire in the fire pit the night of your party?

Customer: Yes.

Me: Ok, now you say the grass looks trampled, does it still look green?

Customer: Yes, but it looks real bad.

Me: Did you have a lot of people over?

Customer: Yes, and a lot coming a going too. Some of them spilled beer on the lawn.

Me: I'll come out and take a look, but I don't think you have a long term problem here. Grass it pretty tough and I think it will survive.

Customer: Well there is an area where we spilled a lot of beer.

Me: The worst case scenario here is we need to put some grass seed down. Let me come out an take a look, then I can tell you for sure what we are dealing with.

Customer: So, your'e sure the lawn isn't dead?

Me: I am virtually certain of it, I'll check it out and call you back with a plan to get your lawn back on track.

I found most of the lawn to be flattened by foot traffic. The grass around the fire pit was stressed out. I moved up his regularly scheduled fertilizer treatment and applied it a soon after this and the lawn recovered. I also sold them an aeration to combat "likely soil compaction" that occurred during the party.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have a big brown spot in my lawn
    i show up the pool is now open
    i ask did u leave the pool tarp on the lawn yes we did
    how long sat after noon all of sunday ok then heres your sign

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

:cry: ...............

Customer: Can you spray the weeds in the lawn? The last company didn't spray weeds.
    Me:Sure
    Customer: 1 week later, Why are there dead spots where the weeds were
    Me: ummmm.....there dying.;)

9. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

small shallow kiddie pool left upside down, perfect little circle

10. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

also had a customer get a new roof, they couldn't understand the little brown squares left in the yard from shingles laying there