An Age Old Question"The Chicken or The Egg?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew S, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Who buys equipment first in anticipation of gaining new or bigger contracts or who waits to get the job and then has to rush to buy equipment in time for the new contract.

2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Its good to have extra equipment in case of breakdowns anyway. So i would definately say buy equipment before you grow.

In playing devils advocate, you better make sure you grow now! You got all that new equipment to pay for!! LOL

Just some more motivation to pick up new jobs!! haha

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I find good deals on used equipment in fall and winter when people are trying to get rid of the stuff. So I buy the equipment before I get the accounts. Now if I was buying new, I think I would try to get the jobs first.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

He told me to get the equipment after getting the accounts but, I had the money b4 I got the accounts so, I picked the equipment.

That's the only way to go. Why run around like the chicken with the head cut off to go search for equipment?

Buy first get later!

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW:

Dan Kantar is one of the neighbors that used to live by me.

6. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I say if you've got the cash go for it. The only reason I would buy equipment after I got a job is if something I had was older and getting a little tired and I thought it woudn't be reliable under the extra strain.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

start with the best u can afford. then slowly increase your capability as you grow your buisiness. theres 2 buisiness in the paper now that are bankrupt.
    had a guy try to sell me his top end equipment ,recently . only problem ,he needed it fast and he wanted enough to pay it off.
    i really felt sorry for him .but he either will take the bankruptcy route or let it go at a better price.either way he looses.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, that explains why we've never heard of him.
    Hey, you'll get a lot of advice, here, and from others. "Free advice is worth what you pay for it. "
    a quote by the Crawdad

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

a little of both...but mostly I get the equipment before.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone that ever took Marketing 101 or Business 101 would tell you to get the business first...then go and get and start acquiring the equipment.

How in the hell do you know what equipment to get if you don't know what type of properties you will be working on? Do you need 36" mowers? Or 60's? Ride or walk? Enclosed or landscape trailers...ramps out of your pickup?

I could go on and on, but I won't. If you don't where you're going, how do know where you going to wind up??? BTW, this is something that should be an integral part of a new start-up business plan IMO.