An all around awefull, very bad day!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, May 28, 2005.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

So, if anyone can sympathize with the day that I had today, I figure that it's someone on LS.

I was running behind schedule and flying solo because of a 'no call/no show' by one of my guys. As I go down the hill in the front yard of this home I get the 'Z' stuck in the drainage ditch on the side of the road. The frame on the back of the mower bottomed out on the hill side, leaving the rear wheels suspended in the ditch without traction.

The genius in me decided to get the Bob-cat w/b and pull the Z out with a strap. I get it all lined up, strapped in, and go to the w/b for the pull. The engine starts, then dies out. Second try.....starts, then dies. Third try, ditto.

So, I release the dump valves on the w/b and push the beast over to the trailer. With a good 25 foot running start and pushing with all my might, I couldn't get the thing up in the trailer. One mower struck and the other dead in the water! I'm pissed. :angry: Three tries later and completely out of breath, I had an idea!

The genius in me decided to use a trick that I heard here on LS years ago. I disconnected the trailer from the truck and hook the tow strap on the ball of the truck. The other end of the strap goes over the trailer to the w/b, which is all lined up to go up the trailer. With no firewood or large rocks in site to chalk the tires, I decided that I would just pull the emergency brake pin that that it should hold...........

I pull forward with the truck and see the mower ascending the tailgate. I stop for a second and see the mower going back down the tailgate. Confused as to why the mower would be going back down the tailgate knowing that I was stopped and the strap was still hooked up, I began to panic!!! I jumped out of the truck to see the trailer rolling down the street toward the back of my truck. :dizzy: :dizzy:

THANK GOD that I had the forethought to not jump in front of the trailer and try to stop it. The back bumper of my truck is dented and pushed in pretty good, but I'm still alive and nobody else got hurt. Twenty minutes later I rounded up 3 chunks of firewood and chalked the tires. The trick worked the second time around.

I pulled the 'Z' out with the truck and went back to the shop. Three hours of farting around with the w/b to see what was wrong revealed a blown 20 amp fuse!!! ARGH!!! :angry:

Oh well.....live and learn!

Brian

2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Hey, I sympathize with ya, man. My day wasn't so sweet either. I left the house late to begin with and pull up to my first account. Drop the gate, bring down my big WB, and it won't start. Spent about 20 minutes trying to start it with no luck. I decided I better get it home to check it out more and I thought about strapping it up and pulling it onto the trailer with the truck, just like you did, but where I was parked I didn't have enough room. Somehow I found the strength to push that bastard up onto the trailer and I got it home. After quite a while fooling around with this thing I decided to take it to the shop, but it's Memorial Day weekend and everybody close by has closed for the day, so I make the drive out to a repair shop and get there 5 minutes before they close. I decided to take the trailer back to my storage unit and grab my other small mower, only to break the key off in the padlock! By now I am extremely pissed. I had to drive home and get my spare key, and finally went out to mow a little grass. Along the way I discovered my truck's radiator has sprung a small leak:dizzy: . Now I am basically a day behind. Hooray! Man, days like this SUCK!!

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

After seeing this post I am reassured this day was jinxed. I talked to 2 other friends in the business and they said all the same. One of those days we should have all stayed home! :realmad:

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Those are the kinds of day's that'll test your faith.

I had one recently, completely blew it.

Hopefully I'll do better next time, cuz, there will be a next time.

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, tough day ya had there. Good thing you didn't get hurt, trucks are easier and cheaper to fix up then people are.

6. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I've had many days like that since going out on my own this year. I can sympathize with all of you. But today I did not cut. I finished up the week yesterday, spent today sharpening blades, changing oil and cutting MY grass. Tonight we drink. :drinkup: For every one that had a bad day this week, bottoms up!

Mike

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Hopfully you wont run into trouble for a real long time, after going through a day like that. Wow, at least you only got damage to the bumper.

8. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had a terrible weekend last week. Something went wrong on both the 33 and the 48 walk behinds, I was down for about 3 hours, then when I did get going I had the sh!ts and had to drop what I was doing in 2 yards and make a mad dash back to the shop or it could have been bad news. That by far was one of the worse days I had had in a while.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

brian--the great news is you are alive and OK to surf LAWNSITE tonight.

your day coudda been much worse!!!

GEO :waving:

10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear everybody made it home safely.......No mowers here , but lots of powered machinery........Hate when thing dont start, often find its time to upgrade to a magneto,[ replace those tired points], .....I always think i can handle most things, but worry about the men?, ....Nows a good time to order wheel-chocks and tie at least one to the trailer, chipper, or truck body......"Happy Holidays Everyone" :)