1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

An Amusing Story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BCSteel, Jun 28, 2005.

1. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

So I show up at one of my smaller townhouse complexes the other day and while I'm going about my business as usual the guy in charge of organizing the overall maintenance comes out and says,
    "Are you going to cut this grass shorter, it looks like ****!"
    I say, "No. The fertilizer is working, it will look good after I cut it."

Then he goes off on some speil about how the grass never looks good and the only thing the mower (walker) is doing is laying down the grass and not cutting it.
    Him," I was in this business for 20 years, I know dam well what I'm talking about!"
    Me, "Aparently you lost track of what proper lawn maintenance actually is."
    Him, "I worked on a golf course for 15 years, I know dam well what needs to be done here. Cut the grass shorter like we did at the course!"
    Me, *looking around with a sarcastic look of bewilderment* "This isn't a golf course. If you would like I could give you a quote for additional services that would meet your requests."
    Him, "what would it hurt to cut the lawn one notch shorter?"
    Me, "Ahh, the lawn ;) "
    He ends off with this masterfull piece of conversation, "You will do as your told and cut the damn grass shorter. Start doing you job! :realmad: "
    Me only a foot or so from his face, "BAHAHHAHHHHAHAHAHAHA!! " And I turned around and continued on with my work.
    Him, " :angry: :realmad: :angry: "

I think hes just angry that hes a cripple now and cant get out of his house anymore at the young age of 57. I feel sorry for that guy... :rolleyes:
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, we get a couple of complaints per season from new accounts about cutting too high this time of year. It is usually from lack of fert, and/or thin lawns. Then when they realize their the only lawn on the block that hasn't turned to dust, they end up thanking us. :)
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

AH, just turn them to dust Paul. It will make it easier, won't have to go back as often lol
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I turned them to dust last year at their request and they pissed and moaned to no end about the amount of weeds and the crappy appearance of the lawns. This year is my way or the highway. I'm tired of dicking around with a couple complainers. Take it or leave it.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

There is a trend here by homeowners to cut grass about 2- 2.5 inches. Mostly fescue. When I mow the yard next door at 3.25" it looks long. Of course during this drought theirs is now brown.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

From my experience, the ones asking for lower cutting heights are the ones who are golfers. They see the short grass at the golf course and come home and wonder, "... why can he make my lawn look like the golf course? Just ask him to cut the grass shorter!"

Residential turf and golf course turf are two different things, and they have difficulty understanding this notion.
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly........I don't think I've seen a bent grass lawn yet.....LOL