An electric starter for trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Try starting your trimmer while holding it up in the air rather than on the ground. It uses both arms instead of one. Less stress on the shoulders.

I hold the trimmer in my left hand and pull the cord with my right. While pulling on the cord, I push away with the opposite hand. It doesn't require a full range of motion this way.

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just going to suggest this as a method to try.

I find it a little easier to cold start with my trimmer supported on a retaining wall with the head overhanging the edge. The Stihl trimmers have a start setting, and I have a Kombi. Since I do my edging before I do my string trimming, I do my cold start with the edger head on, and when it is on the start setting, the engine gets revved enough to start the blade spinning, so I don't start it on the ground.

For warm starts, I start it in the air. The "chainsaw" start method works well, because much of the work is done by gravity. You use the weight of the machine to "drop" the machine. You really don't have to pull the cord much at all.

Now a battery start on my backpack blower, so I could stop and restart without putting it down, that would be kickass.

3. macgyver_GA

Good call on the "chainsaw" method haha. I didn't think about calling it that.

I totally agree on the backpack blower thing. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop the blower to talk to someone. Then you've gotta take it off, restart it, then put it back on. Usually if I'm in a hurry and don't really wanna talk, I'll try to talk to them while it's idling. They usually get the hint.

They should put the pull cord on the side of the blower so you can pull it while it's still on your back.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had customers restart me before. I like saying to them "Hey Tom, can you yank me". They get this look on their face and then I explain that I need a pull to get restarted. :laugh:

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

And then they say "no problem, I'll do anything for Dick"
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Many makers already have reduced effort starting systems. Your lucky back in the day we had crank start the trucks every time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

I know its junk but it pisses me off that RYOBI has one! :cry:

8. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Member

shows how lazy we are as humans

9. macgyver_GA

Where's the "like" button?

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Im sure all of this could be done, its just what company or person has the time and money to not only figure it out, but then market it and convince consumers that the extra weight is worth it.