An employee manual

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcwservices, May 26, 2008.

1. dcwservices

dcwservices LawnSite Member

How about starting a thread for the new employee to read. You know some pointers for him to learn. I have 2 new guys starting next week and would like for them to look over andread a little bit!

Ill start with these:

1. On your down time, Instead of looking like a statue, fill up the equipment or respool the trimmers.
    2. Never put a mower with the bag full of grass back onto a trailer.
    3. Never run any type of machinery without safety glasses.
    4. MAKE SURE YOU TRIM CORNERS, SOME Z-TURNS ARE NOT ABLE TO CUT THE BACK CORNER WHERE A FENCE IS!
    5. Check equipment oil daily.
    6. Never let any peice of equipment run out of gas or string while in the middle of a job.
    7. Always be polite and direct the customer to the supervisor on the jobsite.
    8. MAKE SURE YOU STAY HYDRATED!
    9. NEVER beat the weedeater head on the lawn for more string, With a little acceleration tap it on concrete.
    10. If you see something in the mowers path, Pick it up or Roll it up!!!!

2. dcwservices

With all the knowledge tips and tricksout their, this thread should be full of stuff. Help me out here!

3. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Good stuff listed, Give me a few and I'll add somemore to your list.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

number 3 needs inprovement.

never operate any equiptment untill you have fully read the owners manual,

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

All employees must know and obey company drug abuse & saftey policys

Make sure to pick up any trash, news papers, ect priar to any mowing.

Know where all fire exstingushers & first aid kits are located.(in trailer or truck)

Make sure to have a copy of the department of labor (labor laws) handy for all employees to see, i keep mine next to the first aid kit in the trailer

just a few off the top of my head.

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some:

1. Come to work looking professional and clean. That means company shirt (if you have them), clean work pants, sunglasses, and hearing protection. Customers feel more comfortable having professional looking workers on their property, and it gives your employer a better reputation.
    2. Keep the equipment clean and in good working order. Blow grass off mowers after each job, fill up handhelds and mowers every few jobs, and always put things back where they belong. Again, it gives your company a better name if you have clean, working equipment.
    3.Never use obscene language on a jobsite. A customer could be nearby at any time.
    4. When a customer (or anybody for that matter) is walking by and you're using equipment, shut the equipment off, say hello, then turn the equipment back on and continue working when they are a safe distance away. Remember, customers don't like the sound of the equipment like us.
    5. Never discharge grass towards a bystander or a vehicle. If someone is in the way, ask them to move. If a car is going to get sprayed, ask the customer to move it. If not, too bad.
    6. Never modify the safety features on the equipment.
    7. NEVER smoke on a jobsite.
    8. Don't leave big clumps of grass in areas you don't feel like blowing out.
    9. Unless the boss states otherwise, trim and edge EVERY job.
    10. Have fun. Don't be so serious you can't enjoy the job.

7. dcwservices

Just what I was looking for, Keep em coming!

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure ALL equipment is secured to truck or trailer before leaving one jobsite and heading to the next!

9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't piss on a customers yard.

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if the equipment doesnt work you dont work