An Exmark with a Walker?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Critical Care, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello Exmark, and others. I could use your thoughts on purchasing a mower.

I’ve been using a 48” Walker to service a number of properties that are less than an acre is size. At the present time I see no need for a larger mower, however I am in need of another mower to compliment the Walker.

The Exmark mowers that I’ve been considering are the LHP19KA465 and the LHP23KA465, however coming from a Walker background I’m a bit concerned about the HP’s ability to do a job without creating a mess should I choose not to bag clippings. I hear some people say that even without the mulch kit the Exmark does a good job of shredding clippings. This could be true, however if an inch of grass is cut, the grass has to go somewhere, and so I’m questioning how noticeable or bad looking this could be. Also, how would the 19 hp Kawasaki perform with a mulching kit on it, or the 23 horse model? I understand from a previous post that the LHP19KA465 sells for around 7K, but how about the LHP23KA465?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Critical Care,

Thanks for your post. Overall, our LHP lineup has been doing quite well. With that said, the only way for anyone to truly tell if a mower will work in their application is to set up a demo w/ their local dealer. Ultimately your opinion is the only one that matters.

The only thing I can tell you about shredding and dispersing clippings is that our full size units do these things very well, so I would expect the HP to do a comparable job. (I don't have near as much time on our HP as I do our full size Lazers) When it comes to mulching I always want more horsepower, but I'll let the gang chime in on that. Below are some prices:

LHP19KA465 $6,999
    LHP23KA465 $7,799

What about looking at our Navigator??

Peace,
    Casey

3. Critical Care

Thank you Casey for your input. I don't think that the local dealer has an HP in stock, nor a Navigator as far as that goes. I'm not sure that even if I could demo one of his other Lazers, which more than likely would have more than a 23 horse engine on it, if that would indicate how well those HP models I listed would do under similar conditions. Other people may know...

Casey, I'm just thinking that the Navigator would be hard pressed to match up to the Walker, and I'm still thinking that for part of the year I'd like to get away from collecting, hauling, and composting. Oye vey!

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Go to www.exmark.com and click on the "Find a Dealer" link. There may be another dealer close by. You could even ask your dealer's opinion even though they may not have one in stock. If you trust them, then their opinion should carry some weight.

I understand your wish to get away from the hassles of collecting clippings. However, I want to challenge you to demo a Navigator and then report back here. I think you may change your tune about how the Navigator's performance stacks up against Walker.

Later,
    KC

5. Critical Care

Well... even though I have my doubts about the Navigator, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind trying one. Same goes for the other Walker clones. I hope it's okay to say that...

There is one other "partial" dealer of Exmarks in this area, Horizon, an irrigition supply outlet that I deal with. The last time I was in there I was suprised to see some Exmarks, however did I see a Navigator? Probably not, or I likely would have checked it out, but I'll double check. Next closest dealer is the other side of the Cascades - a heck of a trip to take for a demo.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

read my sig and follow the links. Plenty of good info.

Some people don't like change and if they had good luck with the walker, they will never accept something new.

However, there are plenty of people that have not felt their money was well spent on the Walker.

I too challenge you to run a Navigator side by side with your Walker. Yes they are a bit different, but overall operation is very similar.

The Navigator does offer the fill reduction system that might fit your need if you are looking to cut down on the bagging.

Might be able to score a good deal this time of year and 12 month finance from exmark........no payment, def interest!!!

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

or you could just buy a side discharge deck for your walker and swap decks for different applications.

8. Critical Care

This is a follow up on this post.

I ended up purchasing a new 23 horse Kawasaki Exmark HP with the 46" deck and mulching kit put on. It was a good deal, though a long drive over the Cascades to get it.

My Walker has been having EFI problems, hence the need of something else.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of problems has that kohler efi been giving you? just curious. 26 or 31hp?

10. Critical Care

I have a 26 hp with only 140 hours on it. After $300 spent, the problem still hasn't been fixed. Mechanics in this area simply are not familiar with working on these EFI Kohler engines. The diagnose is a 32 code, bad ground, sensor, ECU problem...

Perhaps of this ongoing and ongoing Kohler problem with my Walker, I was a bit apprehensive about jumping onto a Navigator.